Jory's Reviews > Welcome to Dead House

2032104
Feb 11, 14

bookshelves: books-i-own, 2014-reads, on-the-kindle
Read in February, 2014

"Where is everyone?" I asked, looking up and down the empty street. "It's really dead around here, huh?"
He chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you could say that."

TALK ABOUT FORESHADOWING. GOOD ONE, STINE.

I decided this year would FINALLY be my Year of Stine. I couldn't resist. I wanted to jump into the books of my young adolescent life. I've got to tell you, this is going to be super fun for me. Reading Welcome To Dead House was like a blast from my youth past. I used to love this book. Like a lot. It was always one of my favorites, now that I remember. It reminded me actually of like an American Horror Story but for 12-year-olds. Except its not just a house that is dead. It's the entire town. And the entire town wants Amanda and her family to join them. As the living dead of Dark Falls.

I can see why I clearly loved these books when I was a fat, nerdy youngin' who sat on the benches of her elementary school playground reading instead of being one of the "cool kids" and swinging on the monkey bars or whatever. They are pretty engrossing. And this one grabbed my attention 100%. It always did, now that I think about it. The way Stine foreshadows the fact that everyone in the town is dead (the shaded areas, they always wear dark clothes, they cower in the sunlight...etc), is great. Its like as you are reading the stories he gives you little clues about the plotline, which I absolutely loved. My favorite had to be when they were all forced into the bright light and their faces and skin started melting off and their eyeballs fell out of their sockets. A+ imaging in my head, really.

Welcome To Dead House is a good way to kick off this iconic series of spook stories for kids. The Year of Stine has begun ladies and germs, so sit back and enjoy the ride of my terrible reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to Dead House.

04/30 page 19
02/07 marked as: currently-reading
02/11 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sweeney Bahaha, I am so excited to see someone else putting themselves through the utter bullshit of Goosebumps books. I actually have several with me in Paris to read for my blog. I have yet to muster the will to actually sit down and read them.

Jory I decided to do it all summer ahahaha. I wanted to re-live my youth, and some of them are just too hysterical not to re-read.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan I kind of want to do this now too! I was obsessed with Goosebumps when I was 7-8. Cuckoo Clock of Doom is my favorite.

Jory Same here! These books were the ones that really got me into reading. And it's fun to re-read them when you are older. You notice how rediculous they are. Ooh, that was a good one! My favorite has always been One Day At Horrorland. That one terrified me as a kid.

message 5: by Kiera (new)

Kiera Yep, Goosebumps started my love of supernatural novels. :)

message 6: by Kiera (new)

Kiera My fave was evil garden gnome one. I've never liked garden gnomes since!