John's Reviews > Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

M 50x66
Sep 01, 2008

bookshelves: religious
Read in August, 2008

Being a pastor and growing up in a conservative home and then on staff of a very large institutional church, I found Miller's thoughts on the church very challenging and often times reaffirming thoughts, concerns and problems that I have with popular Christianity. As you read, you get a sense you are reading Miller's personal journal. He is a talented writer who gives a very intimate, open and honest look into his spiritual journey and insecurities. Even though I disagree with Miller's politics, I admire his interaction with liberal, non religious friends and students and how it affects his faith and how he deals with them. So many Christians remove themselves from the world and associate only with those who believe and act just like them. His struggles with his identity should help many who struggle also with accepting God's love and the love of others.
Miller will resonate well with those who have been somewhat disillusioned with the church. I'm sure others will have a very difficult time with his views. But I believe Miller presents more of a picture of Jesus than the Gospel of the American church.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Like Jazz.