Erik Dabel's Reviews > Jailbird

Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut

Aug 26, 14

Read in August, 2014, read count: 2

Some people say Vonnegut's works are not as relevant today as they were when they were new. I completely disagree, but that's not the point here.

This book is NOT one of those. Jailbird is as relevant today, if not more so, then ever before.

Jailbird is the memoirs of Walter F. Starbuck, a former card carrying member of the Communist Party and criminal convicted of crimes involving Watergate.

The book itself deals with many of the problems with Capitalism in a way only the great Kurt Vonnegut can pull off. His witty and dry sarcastic view of American society is nothing short of brilliant, and this book is a perfect allegory of his political and economic views, or more accurately, his political and economic criticisms.

I certainly hope this book stays relevant and popular as the sarcastic criticism it is, right up alongside Animal Farm, 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, and the like.

Much more important than we can imagine simply for the fact that it forces us to look at ourselves and ask questions that we might not be able to answer, or even don't have answers to at all. Questions we need to step up and start asking, because they aren't going away, only getting bigger and harder to answer.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jailbird.

08/26/2014 marked as: currently-reading
08/26/2014 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ryan Well said. One of my favorite books.

Brady Dale I definitely agree about the relevance. The only way I disagree is this: at least back when this was written, when people actually got caught, they went to jail. Now massive crimes are committed that hurt millions of people and not one single person gets busted. In that way, the world has really changed. Sure, they never tried that hard to bust rich people before, but some people just get tripped over. Now, even that doesn't matter.