MISS VAIN's Reviews > Time Untime

Time Untime by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: arc
Read from July 19 to August 05, 2012

Talon let out a long sigh. "All right. Fine. You asked for it. Let's see you not freak when we tell you that you're the mother of Armageddon."

Time Untime is a mix between Greek Mythology and Native American forklore. As a Native American myself I was excited to explore just how Sherrilyn Kenyon was planning to pull this off intertwining the two amongst each other. I'm ashamed to say that I often felt detached from the story and the world building was a bit overwhelming at times. This book had major information overload and at times I had to go back and re-read a scene just to make sure I fully understand what was going on. It seemed like every page had an excess of details that in my opinion had they been left out, the story would have had the opportunity to read much more smoothly.

In that instant, her heart stopped beating as she clearly saw his entire body. His eyes were as black as his hair and clothes. Every line on his handsome face sculpted to perfection, he held the expression of a merciless fighter who was more used to taking lives than saving them.

We begin meeting Kateri Avani a Native American professor flashing back to memories of her beloved grandmother that has passed away yet she still can feel her presence. She soon discovers that her grandmother held the important title of Keeper of Legend a watcher over a precious stone. She has always assumed her grandmother was making up stories of legends for the sake of telling a good story to Kateri for entertainment purposes, likely the reason she never took her grandmothers superstitions seriously. Upon being attacked while in her classroom by a scary warrior looking for the Stone (she is unaware of the stone)  to prevent her from setting the time back, she quickly discovers that perhaps her grandmother knew exactly what she was talking about.

"For all time.......as he focused that cold, dark gaze on her, she felt the hand of death brush her cheek.
This was the man who always killed her in her dreams. "

Kateri soon discovers that she is the First Guardian's daughter and the next in kin to take over her grandmother's honor and reset this stone, leaving her vulnerable to attacks from those in favor of NOT resetting the clock and allowing the the apocalypse to occur, ending mankind. Quickly she meets Renegade Kawa (Ren) a Native American Dark-Hunter that even Pre-dates the most infamous Dark Hunter of them all Archeron. He becomes hero and rescues her, and soon she recognizes him as the man that has haunted her dreams her entire life. Unbeknownst to her, she has also haunted his dreams as well, and both have had visions of being murdered by the other. This starts out their budding friendship that slowly develops into a romance.

But never had he foreseen this.....
Or anticipated her.....
Her presence slammed into him like an unexpected fist in his gut....
By her hand, I will die. And he couldn't deny it. His pre-cogs were never wrong.
Never.

A long time ago Keetoowah Ren was chosen to be the Guardian of the seal that with the aide of the stone would keep hell at bay, a duty he takes with full intensity, that is until his horribly evil half brother had him killed by trickery, leaving him no other choice but to be brought back as a Dark Hunter with a vengeance. He's tortured, and I have a soft spot in my heart for these tortured heroes. His torture is brutal, and I cringed while reading his torture because it was at the hands of the man who should have given his life to protect him, his father, and his half-brother. These torturous moments are relived throughout Time Untime with memory flash backs.

Ren's horrendous father subjected him to abuse because he never loved Ren's mother and he blamed poor young Ren for the death of his wife and mother to Ren's half-brother Coyote. It's heartbreaking to see a child being raised by a man in an authority role that lives to hurt, brutalize, and demean such a young child only leaving him to feel worthless and a failure when poor Ren's mother has been banished from his life by a jealous Zeus (enter Greek mythology) who was disgusted to know that she had fathered a child with another man besides he. His mother made Artemis (Dark-Hunter territory) promise that she wiukd ensure that Ren would not be killed and would live even without her protection, which is so painful to read because Ren's mother truly loved him. When Ren dies at the hands of trickery of his disgustingly horrifying brother Coyote (they share the same father, different mothers).

"He never listened to me about anything. He only saw the best in everyone. And he was a firm believer in the old adage that the truth was always the best course of action to take."

One wonderful and loving friendship that Ren has throughout his trials and tribulations as a child was the love of a true friend named Buffalo and later his wife Sunshine. Buffalo was his friend and protector at a young age after Ren showed Buffalo's family that he truly could comprehend the meaning of empathy and saved their life. From that moment on Buffalo felt indebted to Ren, yet somewhere along the way Buffalo and Ren became inseparable and both would eagerly give their life for the other. Something that bothered me several times throughout Time Untime was that Ren questioned Buffalo's motives for their friendship over and over in his inner dialogue yet it's overtly obvious that Buffalo was Ren's best friend for no other reason than their relationship evolved into inseparable relationship as brothers. However, I'm under the impression that Sherrilyn Kenyon was trying to express just how insecure and broken and self loathing Ren truly was.

Completely stunned as she stroked and fingered him through his jeans, he broke off their Kiss.
"What are you doing?" "I'm about to rock your world."

The romance between Kateri and Ren is special and slow moving even though he falls for her quickly yet he lacks the self confidence to accept that someone as intelligent and beautiful as Kateri would love him back. I fell in love with Ren from the first page, he's gorgeous, huge, muscular, tormented and such a gentle creature towards Kateri, how could she not love him?

"You knock on my door looking to fight? Then come on in, brother, and I'll put your rabid A$$ down tonight."

An unexpected yet very savory surprise in Time Untime was the role that Archeron played in this book. Archeron is so incredibly irresistible and if your a fan of Ash then you'll love his effort to save humanity and especially his NEW physical look *gasp*. He's also accompanied by Talon, Nick and other past players in the Dark Hunter series as well.

Fans of Sherrilyn Kenyons Dark Hunter series will specially enjoy the race against time to save humanity and fall in love all the way. If you're looking for smoldering sexiness right from the beginning you'll be dissapointed because Time Untime reads like a sexy Urban Fantasy and if you have patience and wait for the romance to involve then you'll enjoy this one. My main conflict with this book was that I felt the flashbacks were a bit tiresome and I grew bored of them along the way, yet if you enjoy reading a book with an overwhelming amount of flashbacks and world building then this one is the one for you. I also regret that Kenyon didn't chose either Greek Mythology or Native American forklore to tackle into one book, I believe that separately these will be awesome, but together I think it lost my interest a bit at times. Although this isn't my favorite Dark Hunter installment, it was still an enjoyable read that Dark Hunter fans will be glad they didn't miss.

"While jealousy was the root of all evil, love was the source of all good. Jealousy brought out the worst in everyone. Love created the best. It was for jealousy that he had destroyed his own brother. But it was love of his best friend that brought him back and made him a defender again."

ARC provided for review by St. Martin's Press

This review can also be found here: Miss Vain's Paranormal Fantasy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Untime.

MISS VAIN Lmao! I didn't even request it. It just showed up on my doorstep like a lost puppy Thursday morning.

message 3: by Emmy (new) - added it

Emmy Lucky! Puppies need love too! :)

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: For real....lucky as hell chicky!!

MISS VAIN It's actually a great book and the only reason I haven't finished is because I can't read it on the elliptical at the gym because the lighting is low so I have to read on my iPad instead.