Samuel Groves's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: testing-recs
Recommended for: everyone
Read from April 22 to May 13, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I pulled this book off my shelf a little under a month ago. It is, if you count the after-ending ending, 350 pages long. Those pages are divided into 47 passages, which are sectioned into 15 chapters.

I normally chew through something like that in a few days.

I knew this book by reputation. It happened to be one of those rare books that land in an intersection of different spheres of interest for me. And because I knew it by reputation, I knew I'd need more that 'a few days' to work my way through it.

This is not one of those books that "you won't be able to put down". In fact, if you are anything like me and have problems not falling into stories, it'll be the book you put down over and over again like someone who can't quite figure out how to carry a hot potato.

I ended up being able to get a handful of passages down at a go, only thinking about what was directly written, only to have to stop once I inevitability started thinking about the things that were being said between the lines. I'd end up switching to something fluffy and light before I'd go back to it. I finished the entire Harry Potter series while reading this book. A little candy to help the medicine go down. Or rather, with over 4,000 pages to 350 pages, quite a bit of candy.

But even so, I needed to read this book. And, probably, so do you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

06/12/2013 marked as: read

Tiff It's one of my favorite books. I really love the way Margaret Atwood writes.