Brooke's Reviews > Breaking Stalin's Nose

7521957
Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: eced-221

Newbery
This historical fiction picture book is about a young boy, Sasha, who has great promise in becoming a young pioneer serving Stalin. The night before being inducted, his father was taken away by officials. Not fully understanding what had happened, Sasha believes that his father being taken had to have been some kind of mistake. The following day, Sasha accidentally breaks the nose of of a statue of Stalin. Things get progressively worse for Sasha. He realizes that everything he believed in, including being a communist, may not have been what he thought it was.

This story takes place in Russia (at the time, The Soviet Union)during the rise of Stalin. Sasha, who was originally gun-hoe for Stalin's beliefs, begins to think for himself, which is a very non-communist action. The theme of this book is to be yourself, and to think for yourself. Conforming to everyone else is not something we want our students to do. We want them to develop their own thoughts and ideas, which is why this book would be a great addition to the classroom library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Stalin's Nose.