Peter Heinrich's Reviews > Toys Go Out

Toys Go Out by Emily Jenkins

Oct 27, 12

bookshelves: childrens, fantasy, fiction, geekdad-must-reads, humor, read-aloud
Read from May 08 to October 27, 2012 — I own a copy

Read this mostly to Zane (6), whose sprawling menagerie of stuffies guaranteed he would identify with StingRay, Lumphy, and Plastic. It took a little longer than I expected, but he eventually got completely wrapped up in the story.

Zane liked this book a lot more than I did, but it was sweetly funny and kind and gentle, so I can't complain if he paid attention at all. The lack of space aliens, monsters, or evil bad guys may explain his initial coolness, but every kid wants to believe their toys have a secret life, talking and cavorting among themselves when we're not looking. (It's kind of a kid's job, in fact, to give voice to that life—and Zane does great voices.) Once Zane connected with the characters, he was engrossed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toys Go Out.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonalamai (new)

Jonalamai This has been our favorite read-out-loud series. Sweet in tone but the humor is sly and often laugh-out-loud funny.

I didn't see The True Meaning of Smekday on your to read list. Cora and I LOVED this book. Hilarious and touching book about an alien invasion.

Peter Heinrich Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it now... Done!

I actually tried hard not to broadcast all those updates, but apparently Goodreads was too complicated for me. I was setting up a special shelf (geekdad-must-reads) from an article I saw on Wired:

67 Books Every Geek Should Read to Their Kids Before Age 10

We will definitely give Toys Go Out and TTMoS a try.