Crystallena's Reviews > Night Shift

Night Shift by Lilith Saintcrow

Apr 22, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

I read the first book in the Dante Valentine series and didn't quite love it, so I avoided these books for a long time. A couple of months ago, Nook spotlighted this book and it was only 99 cents so I bought it and promptly forgot about it until I ran out of books to read. I started this book already sure that I wouldn't read past the first one. Instead, I ended up reading the entire series in a few days.

I don't particularly love Jill. As a general rule, I prefer slighly flawed heroines that still manage to kick ass, so Jill should have been a given for me. She isn't very likeable, what with her constant whining about Mikheil, who, near as I can tell took a young girl off the street and trained her, pushed her into dealing with a demon, and had sex with her. Usually, that is considered child abuse, but, hey, who am I to tell a gal who she can grieve over? I think Jill's grief over him might have been more palatable, had he been a somewhat sympathetic character. Aside from that, she is a pretty cool chick, with some great one-liners.

I really liked Perry. Maybe I've gotten too used to demons being hot alpha males with lickable horns. But, damn, Jill whines alot about him too.

I like Saintcrow's world here. I love urban fantasy that doesn't create an alternate universe, but manages to weave the paranormal into the real world.

Overall, I give this book 3 stars, for being a solid read. Having already read the rest of the books, I can certainly recommend continuing the series. I became more emotionally invested with each book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Shift.