Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, kat-s-book-reviews, leaves-awesomeness-behind, to-ya-or-not-to-ya, ya-pnr-maddness
Read from June 24 to July 08, 2012

I have a scale for YA books I read, since I’ve read so many. It looks some­thing like this.

-I hope this book dies. Right now. And takes a 100km radius with it just to be sure.

-Ter­ri­ble book

-I was pleas­antly surprised

-Yeah I liked that

-That was a great book

-Wow I loved that book!

-FIZZJERBLEDEEGOOK! That was Freak­ing AMAZEBALLS!

-I will read that book again

Allow me to lay down some per­spec­tive. At this moment I have no fewer than sixty-three ARCs sit­ting around wait­ing to be read. I have specif­i­cally enough time to scratch my head in bemuse­ment between read­ing one book, review­ing it, con­tact­ing the appro­pri­ate peo­ple and pick­ing up the next one. I do not have time to reread books. So whilst there are plenty of books that I greatly enjoy and even love, the pool for the num­ber of books I reread is cur­rently at five. Five. This book makes five books I reread.

It is not that it’s a per­fect book – but that it is per­fect for me. I loved every­thing about it. Brennan’s writ­ing style, humour, wit and dia­logue shines in every­thing she writes. This book is filled with atmos­phere, mood and the per­fect level of creepy. It’s char­ac­ters shine through as it’s strongest advan­tage. Each inde­pen­dently strong and lov­able, Bren­nan pulls out all the stops in cre­at­ing a Scooby Gang of epic proportions.

Eas­ily the biggest sell­ing point is Kami and Jared. But mostly Kami. Kami was rock­ing so hard that I had resid­ual whiplash. Strong, smart, brave – a theme with almost all the women in the novel. She was quirky enough to be cute, inde­pen­dent enough to be admirable, vul­ner­a­ble enough to be loved – strong enough to lead this novel and stand on her own. Jared with his flawed com­plex­ity and bad boy char­ac­ter­is­tics was lov­able and pitiable. I know I have a soft spot for bad boys, but it’s hard not to root for him and hurt for him through­out the novel.

The pac­ing and plot were pretty much spot on per­fect, never get­ting bor­ing or eas­ing up on the good times which bal­anced with the action and suspense.

I think this book earned each and every one of those five stars. It earned them hard and I need the next one NOW.

**Original Prereview below**

So I opened the book and by page five I was like:

And we met Kami and Angela and Ash and Jared and Holy and I was like:

Give me MOAR

Then I saw that there was a love triangle and for a minute I was like:

But not even two pages later I was just like:

I'm convinced

Then the mystery revved up and I was like:

hells yeah

And then the intrigue and danger and relationships started to evolve and I was like:

Can't stop

And every time Kami said something hilarious I was like:

So much love

So basically how I feel about this book is that if I had a choice between reading the sequel and a threesome with:

Magic Mike

Then I would probably choose Unspoken #2. Yes. I said it.

And how I feel about the fact that the next one is so far away:

I can't go on

This is just a temporary review. Keep an eye out for my proper review in August.

*Image Sources:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

07/08/2012 page 5
1.0% "Five pages in and I already love this one."
07/08/2012 page 9
2.0% "Um... If this book stays this good for the next 371 pages I'm going to have to love it forever." 2 comments
07/08/2012 page 62
17.0% "I. Love. This. Book."
07/08/2012 page 70
19.0% "Brennan, you do the best damn dialogue. *high five* (don't leave me hanging." 7 comments
07/08/2012 page 353
95.0% "Kicking ass like a fucking champion! Just an average day for this book."
07/08/2012 page 353
95.0% "Kicking ass like a fucking champion! Just an average day for this book."
02/06/2016 marked as: read

Zarah Le yay! I really want to read THIS review! :D

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Cannot wait for this review! It looks awesome.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

So glad I have this for review coming up. :P

Kat Kennedy It was so good. So damn good.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

You used a Bones GIF... her last name is Brennan... author's last name is Brennan...

Just had to point that out. *cough*

Experiment BL626 It's a sign!

Kat Kennedy It was on purpose - a metamindfuck.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat wrote: "It was on purpose - a metamindfuck."

NICE. SOLID GIF-USAGE. *fistbump*

message 9: by Deniz (new)

Deniz oh i so wanna read this now!
NOW!

Kat Kennedy Everybody, everywhere should want to read this book.

Kelly - *Fistbump* Gif usage is an artform.

Ioana Alrighty. You have officialy made me want to read this book! I love your GIF reviews, so damn funny.

message 12: by Bec (new) - added it

Bec I want to read this book just so compare your GIFs to how I'm feeling at the same time

Tracey So, so good - and the book was great too!

Zarah *laughs*
Promising, indeed! :D

Lisa (Fic Talk) I WANNA READ THIS SUH BAD.

So glad you liked it, Kat.

message 16: by Cameo (new) - added it

Cameo LOL you don't need to make a "proper" review, this one is bloody awesome! A GIF (or six) says more than a thousand words ;)

message 17: by Merce (new)

Merce Oh good. This book must be good. I was debating whether to read this but if you would reject a threesome between those sexy dudes it must be worth it!

message 18: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle You're GIF reviews are absolutely AMAZING! Too funny! :)

message 19: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Oh my god you'd chose the reading the second book over Channing and Joe?! Wow that is some serious stuff. I definitely have to read this book now.

Christina Wilder Glowing review with Supernatural gifs? Sign. Me. UP.

Maggie You would rather read Unspoken #2!? I now have to read this book, or at least see what it's about.

message 22: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Ahhh I want this book so bad right now!! I just found Sarah's new one 'being human ' but I have like 6 books to read first because I bought them first! Great review, makes me want to read it so much more!!

message 23: by Rob (new)

Rob I give this review FIVE STARS!

*****

:-)

message 24: by Rob (new)

Rob That cover reminds me of this one:

Roshini Kat, can I link your review to mine? I think it's much better than the one I'm attempting to come up with:-)

Kat Kennedy Yeah sure. Go for it.

Roshini Thanks!:-)

message 28: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Lol! Wow, this book that good?

Kadensmomm hahaha i love this review. are you serious about choosing the 2nd book over those 2 guys?!?! :O it must be a good read :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Given such a place in the scale, I just changes this one from the "maybe" pile to the "high hopes one". I want to be rocked.

message 31: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Prathia This review made me pre order the book right after I read it. I mean, it should worth it right. I read The Lynburn Lecgacy #0.5 and I love it already! Can't wait to read it.

Kat Kennedy If you like 0.5 then DEFINITELY give this one a go!

message 33: by Deniz (new)

Deniz This Tueday! i have been waiting so long! soo looking forward to it!

message 34: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Bond Read it today. So, so good.

Stephanie This review is perfection; I am laughing so hard. xD

message 36: by Charity (new)

Charity Thank the lord you put the picture of the two hotties at the end of your review, otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten far enough to read a word.

message 37: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright .....so if you turned down the threesome then could I have the threesome with the guys? It sure would be a great christmas gift to me.
:-/

message 38: by Belén (new) - added it

Belén i wasn't sure if i should read this book or not, but your review just convinced me to do it! it was really funny!

message 39: by Gela (new) - added it

Gela Haha I look your review =D Nice tumblr pics <3

message 40: by Ruizaanne (new) - added it

Ruizaanne it's 3am and your review just woke me up! lol! thank u!

Kadie D♥ Your review is so very funny.
Now I'm sure I just have to read it!!!

message 42: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra I haven't often the pleasure of LOL-ing at a book review, but you just made it happen. Thanks :D

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright, let's see who I believe!

message 44: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby Black Exactly my thoughts!! you summed it up quite nicely :D

message 45: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Norris Dear Kat,

I just want you to know that anytime I need a pick me up or just a great laugh I turn to your reviews on Goodreads. Mainly, I head for the "leaves awesomeness behind" or "books that deserve a painful death" and before I know it I'm laughing my ass off. This usually takes place at work where I receive the "Debra, don't be crazy" look from my co-workers but then I feel the need to share my joy and of course they never understand the humor because they've never read the books but thats okay.
Okay, thats all I needed to share.
Have a great day!
Debra

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Aa, you're awesome.

Hayes the Haute Librarian Just read this book today on a flight from Seattle to Orlando, and loved it. Only thing I loved more: your review of it!

Jessica (Stuck in Books) This review is a HUGE reason of why I'm so excited to be reading this book right now.

Plus, I love Sarah Rees Brennan.

message 49: by Moorea (new)

Moorea Hall Best review I've ever seen

Feminista Love your review.. Straight to the point! This is going to be a must read for me!

« previous 1