Bev's Reviews > Then Again

Then Again by Diane Keaton

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: autobiography, favorites

This is not your usual Hollywood memoir.  It is as much (if not more) a tribute to Diane's mother, Dorothy Hall, who loomed very large in her life, as it is the story about how shy, insecure Diane Hall became a celebrated movie star, lover to Woody Allen, Warren Beatty and Al Pacino, and triumphed over her persistent insecurities and went on to give us memorable performances in movies such as the Godfather series, Annie Hall (which Woody Allen based on Diane's own family), First Wives Club and many others.  Dorothy Hall was a writer who kept delightfully complete journals of the ups and downs her own life, and her daughter's life and career.  Keaton quotes liberally from her mother's diaries and often compares her life to her own life.  As her mother receives the diagnosis of Alzheimers and slowly sinks into that abyss from which there is only one escape, Diane is brutally honest about what is happening and in the end, we all weep with her at her mother's death.  This really is a beautiful and beautifully written book.  Get the "real" book--I read it on my Kindle, which does not do justice to the photos.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then Again.