Ames's Reviews > The Bellwether Revivals

Apr 22, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: own, pretentious-book-is-pretentious
Read from July 01 to 04, 2012

If you're looking for a book filled with wooden dialogue, failed attempts at emotion, and static characters, you've come to the right place.

I couldn't be arsed to care for a single one of the characters in this novel. Oscar has no personality. Iris likes Oscar for reasons unknown to me. Eden is a pretentious jackass with no redeeming qualities to speak of. Marcus (German), Jane (lovable doofus who is actually smart but acts like a doofus on purpose so everyone else looks good), and Yin (token American) are the supporting characters who, if possible, possess even less charm than Oscar. Then there are the tertiary characters: Dr. Paulsen, Herbert Crest, and Theo and Ruth, the overbearing parents of Iris and Eden.

Everything in this book feels forced. From Eden's soliloquies on the healing powers of music, to the "shocking" revelations about his mental illness. I wasn't shocked at all as I read this book. Mostly, I was just bored. I feel like the author included some unnecessary things just for shock value, to be honest. It didn't work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bellwether Revivals.

06/08/2016 marked as: read