Michael Larson's Reviews > Hellboy, Vol. 12: The Storm and the Fury

Hellboy, Vol. 12 by Mike Mignola

May 06, 12

One of the things I always forget about Hellboy is how simple a character he is. Even though he's persistently surrounded by intricate mythologies and fulfilling labyrinthine prophecies, he basically just wants to be left alone. Not to brood, necessarily, but just to do his own thing. And yet creatures and villains the world over keep ensnaring him in their plots to gain power or revenge or Ragnarok.

So here, in the most climactic battle Hellboy's had yet to face, what stands out are the small moments. Waiting in a pub in the middle of the woods. Conversations with friends. Conversations with enemies. Small moments like these are one of the reasons 'Hellboy' continues to be my favorite current comic.

I initially got into Hellboy for the Lovecraftian monsters and pulp inspirations, and the fantastic art, which continues to be one of the most perfect examples of style matching storytelling, drew me in. But I've stayed because of the time Mignola takes to let his characters have their small moments, even when surrounded by extra-dimensional beasties.

As an ending, this is satisfying, but like any good ending, it leaves you wanting more. So I'm glad it's not THE end.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellboy, Vol. 12.