Callista 's Reviews > Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2: Learning Curve

May 26, 12

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in May, 2012

The story's good in terms of (as the title indicates) Peter learning, making mistakes, juggling various aspects of his life. It's hard to balance life as a high school student by day with the activities of a vigilante superhero by night. Especially when his ego starts writing some checks his body almost can't cash. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.) In this installment, Peter also gets a job at the Daily Bugle, working on its website in this updated version (and also a cute pun). I liked the way his budding relationship with Mary* is portrayed, how he decides to tell her the truth about his alter-ego...and how Aunt May deals, embarrassingly PSA-style, with potential teenage romance under her roof.
I thought the plotline dealing with the Kingpin and his under-thugs was less interesting than the Norman and Harry Osborn stuff in the previous book, even though it's part of Peter's quest to root out everyone with a connection to his Uncle Ben's death.
The art, as before, is quite good. Peter looks sort of like a teenage Michael Weatherly (a good thing) with a bad haircut. I'm not quite sure how I feel about so many small panels that are varying degrees of extreme close-ups. It definitely gives a lot of 'reaction shots', but at times the pages felt a little crowded.
Overall enjoyable, though; and I'm continuing on to volume 3 soon.
*(I am a little curious why she's just "Mary" now. They've called her "M.J." in the past. Is the writer just avoiding "Mary Jane" because it's also drug slang?)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2.