C's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: book-suggestions, favorite-young-adult

I heard about this one at a meeting on Hunger Games read-alikes and figured I'd give it a try. It is similar in many respects: a strong female character with a tightknit sibling relationship, captured out of her element and thrown into a survival/captor vs. captive situation. There's also the "unlikely bond between characters" element as well.

While there are many similarities, Wither has its own unique flavor. The situation she's thrown into is not quite violent like Hunger Games, but dark and creepy. This is more "Katniss vs. President Snow" than it is the "Katniss fights in the Arena," by way of comparison.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I liked DeStefano's writing style and the characters, and read through quickly, staying up late to finish it. The author brought did a nice job making certain things plausible, and bringing Rhine's grief and disgust to life, while at the same time not making her "weak."

There were a couple things that I didn't quite click with, hence the 4 stars instead of 5. It is obvious Linden is brainwashed out the ears. I didn't understand why she didn't enlighten him on ...we'll say "important things he should know" ...after a certain point. It felt obvious that he should know. I also felt a household rebellion might be in order. Why that was not possible, I felt could have used a bit more fleshing out/clarification (is there any kind of law enforcement? It doesn't seem like it). Hopefully that'll be resolved in later books.

I'm not too worried about the credibility of the dystopian side of this book. It is light reading and I assume that outside the bubble of the central characters, there's a whole bunch of detail that hasn't been fleshed in.

Recommended:
Teens & adults, fans of Hunger Games, The Yellow Wallpaper, Flowers in the Attic (captor vs. captive element, to clarify)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.