Natalie's Reviews > We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: borrowed, female-pen, general-unpleasantry, read-in-2012
Read from April 22 to 25, 2012

We Need To Talk About Kevin, despite its rather banal title which admittedly put me off of it for a while, is completely terrifying. I swear my birth canal slammed shut within the first fifty pages. I don't want kids and don't make a secret out of the fact. Neither really does the protagonist Eva; though she becomes pregnant and resents the way her husband now treats her as less of a person and as no longer his wife, but as a carrying case for some kind of precious cargo; she hates the way pregnant women's bodies are socially co-opted and treated as public property; and once she gives birth, she is ambivalent about motherhood and actively dislikes her kid. Eva knows what a horrible, sociopathic little monster her son Kevin is; Dad remains clueless and gaslights Eva for most of the story, which is presented in epistolary form to Eva's now-estranged husband two years after Kevin's ultimate act of psychopathy. It's an interesting presentation on how America loves to look for someone to blame after shit hits the fan (and that someone is usually Mom, when a minor is involved) and how it's completely verboten to speak of Motherhood in anything but golden tones.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Need to Talk About Kevin.

04/23/2012 page 58
14.0% "This book is making my ovaries shrivel up like rotten grapes."