Brinda's Reviews > Family Matters

Family Matters by Rohinton Mistry

Jul 17, 07

Read in July, 2007

Took me a while to get into this one -- but once I was in, it was quite a remarkable read. Mistry spins a tale about Bombay through the story of one family undergoing dramatic yet completely plausible, at times quiet, ordinary events. Mistry is not trying to wow anyone through crash-boom-bang events, yet even in its subtlety this story had a Shakespearean sense of tragedy and betrayal and loss -- not just for the family, but for a city whose beauty and vibrance was contantly underscored by corruption, violence and intolerance. And as usual, with any story written by an Indian immigrant, I read the story personally -- ultimately, this was a tribute to a city from the eyes of one far away from it, revealed through distinct memories and descriptions of photographs and references to Hindi songs and idioms, and charatcers highlighting its chaotic blend of creed and religion and class. Many tears were shed reading this one, as Bombay was my own home for 5 years, a city which I love dearly, though perhaps my love has more to do with my memories of it than with the present city itself, one from which now I am now so far removed.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Matters.