Jon's Reviews > The Forever War

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Mar 31, 13

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction, award-winners, hugo-winner, nebula-winner, read-in-my-40s, time-travel, liked-it
Recommended to Jon by: Jim MacLachlan
Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

33 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever War.

07/03/2009 page 1
07/04/2009 page 10
3.77% "First person PoV again. Argh."
07/04/2009 page 40
15.09% "Field trip to the dark side of Charon."
07/04/2009 page 46
17.36% "First campaign to Aleph"
07/04/2009 page 56
21.13% "Typo last update. This is the correct page number. Still on the first campaign through Stargate 1."
07/04/2009 page 81
30.57% "Finished "Private Mandella" and starting second part "Sergeant Mandella""
07/04/2009 page 109
41.13% "Relativistic travel confuses me as much as the characters."
07/04/2009 page 136
51.32% "It's very difficult to go home again ... especially when your time lagged."
07/04/2009 page 163
61.51% "Starting "Lieutenant Mandella" part."
07/04/2009 page 179
67.55% "Starting "Major Mandella" part."
07/05/2009 page 231
87.17% "Two to three weeks of waiting on a rogue planet as the enemy crawls towards you through normal space."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad I've only read the Heinlein, but I've always meant to read them all as you have. I'll get to it someday, I suppose. Nice review, Jon.

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon I can't find your review on Starship Troopers. :)

Thanks for the accolades.

message 3: by Brad (new) - added it

Brad I haven't written one yet. I read the book a long, long time ago, and I don't remember the details enough. I'm going to have to reread it to write a review, I think.

message 4: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Jul 07, 2009 02:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Nice review. I'll have to read Old Man's War. I think I already have it on my list from your recommendation actually... I loved this book but I was pretty young when I read it. I took a class in high school called "science fiction, world philosophy" which had us read both Starship Troopers and this one. The class was amazing, using science fiction to explore themes also found in world religions which we also learned about. Completely headed me into the right direction.

message 5: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I'll second needing to read 'Old Man's War'. Thanks, Jon. Sorry you didn't like the book any better. I found it a wonderful counterpoint to Heinlein's - mostly for what wasn't there. Ditto with 'Armor'.

message 6: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon I actually liked Heinlein's philosophizing and the lack of action or science fiction didn't bother me in Starship Troopers. I guess the angst or futility in Forever War just got under my skin. And to be honest, Haldeman may have wanted me to feel that way and if so, he succeeded very well. I definitely liked Haldeman's science and the ending battle was very good.

Looking back to the early 70s, I can see where this would have wowed the critics and fans alike. It doesn't help that I was in the 6th grade in 75 and completely out-of-touch with what was going on in the big bad world, cocooned in Kansas and probably still reading Nancy Drew mysteries. Ack! What naivete!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Haldeman, I think, is a much better writer than Heinlein, and I greatly prefer his prose. Haldeman has a great voice, full of power and majesty. I think his prose and style often elevate his stories far above their genre trappings; this is especially true here and in his masterpiece: Mindbridge (yes, I think that is even better than The Forever War).

message 8: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon Yes, I agree his prose is better than Heinlein's. I'll have to check out Mindbridge.

Greg of A2 You need to read Dorsai! by Gordon R. Dickson if you want to be a completest on classic military sci-fi. Haldeman has risen on my favorite sci-fi authors' list over the years probably because I like his style of prose.

message 10: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon I was able to mooch Mindbridge but there wasn't a copy available of Dorsai!. I did add it to my wishlist thought and I'll watch for it at the used book stores.

message 11: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Moss For a second I thought I rated this. But I was wrong.

Dragoonfliy Agree wholeheartedly with 'Old Man's War.' Utterly fantastic book. I'll be starting 'Forever War' at some point soon, hope I enjoy it!

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I loved Forever War.

message 14: by misti (new)

misti my dad likes so kind of books

message 15: by misti (new)

misti my dad likes so kinds of books