Alan's Reviews > The Spindlers

The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver

Dec 28, 2012

bookshelves: childrens, fantasy

ATOS Book Level: 5.8
Interest Level: Middle Grades (MG 4-8)
AR Points: 7.0
Lexile: 840L
Word Count: 46021

When Liza's brother Patrick woke up acting strange one day, she knew that "Patrick's soul had been taken by the Spindlers". When her parents don't believe her, she knows it'll be up to her to rescue him.
It's a strange and wondrous journey that Liza must go on to save her younger brother from the Spindlers. Liza's traveling companion along the way is Mirabella, the rat, don't just picture any old rat though, you need to picture one wearing a skirt and wig and eye liner. There are a number of distractions and tests Liza must overcome in order to save her brother. All in the wondrous land found by crawling through the crawlspace. A land full of interesting creatures like the lumpen who "always show the correct path", and the nocturna an almost shadow like creature with wings that bring us our nightly dreams.
Parts of this book reminded me of The Borrowers by Mary Norton, in that all the myriad of creatures living in the tunnels underneath the earth use those things which are lost or which mysteriously "disappear" in or around the house to trade and use in their everyday lives (although here we're talking moles and troglods and nids instead of really small humans).
Liza learned a lot on her trip, she learned that "even rats could be beautiful, and hope grew from the smallest seeds". She also learned that "the world was very strange. But you had to walk through. That was the trick." "the other trick, Light would come to you from unexpected places."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spindlers.