Melissa's Reviews > The Drowned Cities

The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: arc
Read from April 22 to 26, 2012

I've heard nothing but good things about SHIP BREAKER, the book that came before THE DROWNED CITIES, and after reading this book, I can't believe that I still haven't read SHIP BREAKER yet. I can't seem to get enough of the author's writing and world that he created.

The bleak setting, the child soldiers, the neverending wars, the choices that will forever haunt you, the meaning of survival...Bacigalupi depicts all of this in such beautiful prose in the most unexpected places as you're sucked into the suspenseful story during the first half of the book.

I kept on telling myself that I would put the book down to do my homework after I finished reading one or two chapters, but the cliffhangers at the end of every chapter just made it impossible. Even after the cliffhangers disappeared during the second half, I still couldn't stop reading because of the anticipation of the climax. The tension and suspense and adrenalin made the next one hundred pages seem like a blur.

But it was the characters that really hooked me. Mahlia and Mouse each had their own problems that they had to go through that always had me hanging on the edge of my seat, waiting to see how the end result would look like if they just gave in and went out the easy way. However, it was Tool that had my utmost respect and attention.

Tool is a half-man. He has the DNA of dog, tiger, hyena, and many others. He was born and trained to be a killing machine, the perfect predator. And he's pretty amazing. Ruthless and intelligent, the guy's thought process was so intriguing, and everything he said was full of win. He had a different view of the world, one with no attachments--just a cold, analytical observation of his surroundings and how it would help his survival and goals. And what he decided to do at the end! If Bacigalupi decides to write another book set in this world, I hope it will be about Tool and his plans.

I really enjoyed this book. I was a little confused about the world outside of the setting, but I think that it would have made more sense if I had read SHIP BREAKER first, which I'm going to do as soon as I can get my hands on a copy!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drowned Cities.

usagi ☆ミ You should also try his other works, like "The Wind-Up Girl". REALLY good, even if it's not YA. :)

Melissa Actually, I think I own a copy of it! It's just somewhere under a pile of books... -__-"