Robert's Reviews > Mara

Mara by Richard P. Denney

5992086
May 09, 12

Read on May 09, 2012

Richard writes in a way that is fast paced and easy. He brings the reader on a ride that is rarely seen in YA and takes nitty gritty subjects like sex, eating disorders, etc and shines a light on them. He did that with Mara and you know what, it worked!

This was a short story and I have to say I liked it. The story was like a trip through Mara's mind as she lost control of her sanity and her ability to be anything but confused. The way Richard wrote the story was such that I literally could see what Mara was seeing on each page. The use of what amounted to possession was a great idea and back dropping the idea behind a dancer who has more going on than anyone realizes was genius. I think he could have fleshed things out a bit more and this could be something he uses for a larger story later on that is the only reason I did not give it 5 stars. I feel it could have been longer. I actually wanted to know MORE about Mara and still do. What made her tick? Why did her mind go to this place? What caused her to have this possession happen to her? I know at the end the big reveal kind of wraps it up but I could not help but think "What if?" Great job with this one Richard:)

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mara.