Sarah Null's Reviews > The Jane Austen Book Club

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

193255
Sep 30, 07

bookshelves: american-as-apple-pie, californian, hot-lit, page-to-screen, owned, books-about-books, book-club-rg
Recommended for: Austen lovers, Sacramentans
Read in September, 2007

This is October's pick for my book club. The book was very good, but for me the most fun part was reconizing all the local places mentioned in the book. Places like Biba, Crepe Bistro, Osaka, and the Sacramento Public Library... streets like Jefferson Blvd., the Tower Bridge... It'll be interesting to see the movie as well because none of the actors are who I'd have pictured for the roles. Fowler focuses on a different character in each chapter, and we see things through that character's eyes. Each chapter is a different month, a different Austen novel, and a different character. The character's life echoes the Austen book of the month. I thought this was a really interesting way to write, but it kept me from ever feeling like I really got to know a character. Just as I was beginning to understand them, there would be a new chapter and a new character's voice. I recommend this book, especially to those who've read Austen.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jane Austen Book Club.