Marybeth (Manhattan Reader)'s Reviews > Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband

Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband by Melissa Mayhue

May 29, 12

bookshelves: ibooks, i-own, favorites
Read from May 26 to 27, 2012

I feel like a cheat. I want to give this book five stars because it centers around a theme I love so much, and that theme by the way usually comes in the form of a tall, muscular Highlander in a kilt. Honestly, my obsession is obviously not healthy, but who cares. I blame Jamie Fraser for stealing my heart.

But, why did I not give this book five stars? Well, simply because Mayhue left too many lose ends. I mean, I can understand if they would serve a function later on in the series, but in this book they just left me with questions and no answers, which I found very annoying. Like, for example what type of business is Cate's family a part of? Obviously some heavy material it looked like. And not to mention if the publishers felt so important to mention Connor's family lineage in the synopsis if it doesn't get mentioned in the book - well, not really anyways. Just little things like that.

I did enjoy the story though. Cate was nothing like I had originally pictured her but she fit perfectly. And I was a little surprised when they threw in the Fae story. Seems like all the Highland books I get my hands on has Fae.

For one, I absolutely loved Cate. I felt bad for her in the beginning because she made a mistake, but as the story continued I loved how she developed greatly as a character. Connor did a lot of development as well, so Mayhue really did an excellent job there.

The story is very original and I like the way the Fae and the people are intertwined together and woven tightly throughout the story.

I was a little surprised at the end, but I think that's what made this story even better. It was completely unexpected what happened and it was a change from the usual time-travel-Fae-involved-Highland-novel I have read.

I can already tell that I am going to love this series. Mayhue is a genius!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn Woodward I was looking for a review by someone who had fallen for Jamie as well. This rung of a cheap D.G. knock off to me and wondered if it was worth picking up while awaiting Jamie & Claire's return to print.

Marybeth (Manhattan Reader) Dawn wrote: "I was looking for a review by someone who had fallen for Jamie as well. This rung of a cheap D.G. knock off to me and wondered if it was worth picking up while awaiting Jamie & Claire's return to p..."

I think this book is worth the read as we wait for Written In My Own Heart’s Blood. Just because, while the similarities in the female going back in time and falling for a Highland husband does ring similarities, it's really different. D.G. sticks closer to history and, aside from the time traveling, everything is very "normal". In Mayhue's novel the Fae take a more central point, and it's closer to fantasy.

And for me personally, the appeal came watching the two main characters fighting their attraction for each other, while Jamie and Claire they just ended up fitting so naturally. Yeah, Claire was always saying how she wants to go back to Frank, but Jamie was for her and everyone could see that.

Also, I think this book series is a little more diverse than OUTLANDER. But, similarities between Jamie and Connor are there. Both men are protective of their own, both are stubborn, and both love with everything they have.

And this is turning into a really long reply, and I'm sorry for it. In short this is a lot faster and in most ways easier to read, the plot line is straightforward, while in D.G.'s books everything is more complex.

If you're still unsure, I always advice to go to the library and read the first book or first few chapters. No harm done if you don't like it, and if you do like it the rest of the series gets promising.

I hope this helps you a little.

message 3: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn Woodward No worries on the length of your reply. It was thorough and helpful. As I'm a fan of The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, I think I will very much like the fae bent to this story, tho not as much as I enjoy the real history of DG's novels. I generally go to the library first anyway for my books :)
Imagine, 2 Scotsmen who are protective and stubborn, such a rare thing ;-) Sounds like this will be a great summer read. Thanks very much!

Marybeth (Manhattan Reader) Dawn wrote: "No worries on the length of your reply. It was thorough and helpful. As I'm a fan of The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, I think I will very much like the fae bent to this story, tho not ..."

Anytime! Let me know what you think!