Monique's Reviews > Last Known Victim

Last Known Victim by Erica Spindler

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: mrs-officer-cops-and-robber-storie
Read in April, 2012

Hmm...wanted to like this book more than I did, it held my attention as it told the story of post-Katrina police dealing with the palpable despair and sadness of having 80% of their city submerged in water..The supply and personnel starved police department is struggling to keep up with the needs of the city let alone deal with the thousands of residents dead, missing or relocated without the added horror of a serial killer with at least nine girls to date..The killer, dubbed the Handyman seems old news with the devastation amongst the town until a body emerges next to the police bagde of slain officer and late husband of Chief Patti O'Shay. With her own personal vendetta against the man who killed her husband Patti goes hard and does whatever including breaking the law and taking the word of a Yvette, a stripper with a past of her own and a fondness for telling lies for attention. Putting her career on the line for justice for her husband she gets involved with Yvette and the book takes the time to in my opinion slow down and add a sideplot of a tested relationship with two cops, Patti's nephew and his girlfriend as she is assigned an undercover job at Yvette's workplace to befriend her on her drugdealer boyfriend's habits..The story moves fast and is broken up in small chapters where the narration shifts without warning including the confusing beginning pages where you later realize are the inner conversations of the serial killer, and what I really think should have been drawn out..The reveal was not as shocking as I'd hoped as I halfheartedly guessed it early with an easy clue..Kept me entertained but could have been longer, the characters seemed kinda flat to me and there was really no great backstory on the killer so there are my negatives, good read despite..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Known Victim.