Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > The Palace Tiger

The Palace Tiger by Barbara Cleverly

Sep 01, 08

bookshelves: detective-crime, fiction
Read in July, 2006

I received an advance reading copy of the Palace Tiger, which went on sale 7/25/06, by Barbara Cleverly. I had not previously read any of her works and was not aware until I received it that there was a series of books based on the character Joe Sandilands.

All in all, the book was well-worth the read and I anticipate going back to her earlier works to read some more.

The book is set in India in 1922 and features a ranging cast of characters including the main character Joe Sandilands, a Scotland Yard investigator, who has been asked to visit the principality of Ranipur, where the deaths to two sons of the Maharajah, have occurred. More disconcerting is the fact that the Maharajah himself has cancer and will die soon, requiring a transition of the throne.

Sandilands is joined by his Russian acquaintance Edgar Troop, and sent by Sir George. In Ranipur, the wives of the ruler and his sons, an illegitimate child of the ruler, the Regent, and a number of others are keenly aware of the situation and nearly each is calculating his or her own path to power.

The tiger is a real threat to villagers in one of the prince's territories, having acquired a "taste for man" it has attacked and killed numbers of children and people, and a hunt is held to end its reign of terror.

The physical and metaphorical tiger is revealed in this wonderful climax.

I thought Cleverly wrapped things up well and did a great job of portraying this period in time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Palace Tiger.