Alex Tierney's Reviews > A Sick Day for Amos McGee

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: eced-221

A Sick Day for Amos McGee is about a man who spends a little bit of time every day with each of his friends at the zoo. He runs races with the tortoise, keeps the shy penguin company, and even reads bedtime stories to the. But when Amos is too sick to make it to the zoo, his animal friends decide it’s time they returned the favor. They all visit him at his house and play games with him and do different activities to keep him company.

The story is well written according to the standards in chapter 2. The setting is described throughout the book when they are at the zoo and when the animals go to Amos's house. The characters are portrayed well and are described well also. We get to see Amos interact with each animal so we get to see what they are like and the things they like to do. The plot is set up well and is organized. There is a beginning, middle, and end which makes the story blend together well. The theme that is present is that you can find friends in all different shapes and sizes and it does not matter what your friends look like. The language of the text is skillfully crafted and is accurate for the age group of the book. The language is simple enough that young children can understand, yet still get enough detail. The illustrations use artistic elements well such as color, framing, and shading. The book seems to use water color or colored pencil to color the illustrations. The illustrations are simple but detailed enough to express what is happening in the story. The pictures do interplay with the text and the pictures clarify what the text is trying to say. The pictures show all of the different animals just incase the reader does not know what an animal is.

I think that this is a cute book to read about friendship. The illustrations were well done and were cute and simple. I think that they also went along very well with the text and added to the story. I would use this book in the classroom by talking about friendship and how important it is. I would also talk about how you the children can have any kind of friend they want.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sick Day for Amos McGee.