Rachel's Reviews > The Silmarillion, Vol. 1

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-and-sci-fi, audiobooks, classics
Read from October 07 to 17, 2014

Review of Volume 1 (4 discs unabridged):
I have tried reading this book three times but could never get more than about 50 pages into it before I thought my head would explode. It is one of those really dense books that requires absolute quiet to read in, but I could never get that to properly concentrate on it. The book reads like an Icelandic Creation story with so many names thrown at you that you need a character list to keep them all straight. I could see elements of Christianity, along with Norse mythology and what sounded like maybe some Pre-Columbian names thrown in for good measure. Once it got through the introductory part of the story (the creation of the earth and the Ainur) and the races of elves and men started establishing themselves, the story was starting to get really fascinating. Of course, that was about the time that Volume 1 ended. I know there’s a second volume but of course my library doesn’t have it. Thankfully, I have a paper copy of the book so assuming I can figure out where I left off, I can read the rest. For a more detailed description of this book, check out this website: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/The_Silmar... 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silmarillion, Vol. 1.

02/01/2010 "Disc 2 of 13"
02/01/2010 "Disc 2 of 13"
02/02/2010 "Disc 4 of 13"
10/07/2014 marked as: currently-reading
10/07/2014 "started this again, hopefully I can get through it"
10/08/2014 "Disc 1 of 4"
10/10/2014 "Disc 2 of 4"
10/12/2014 "is much easier to listen to now"
10/14/2014 "Disc 3 of 4"