Stuart's Reviews > The Desert Spear

The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from July 18 to 24, 2012

Second in the series after The Warded Man, this was a good read. I enjoyed seeing the story from a different perspective. The book did not simply start off where `The Warded Man' left off. The first third or more follows Jardir as he grows up in his desert culture, and we learn about what makes him tick - his wife and his religion mostly. Then the story widens. As the desert warriors widen their world view via conquest, so we widen our view back to the northern climes, and back to the characters with whom we had been familiar - Arlen, Leesha, Rojer and Renna. As it's been a while since I read the Warded Man, it was sometimes difficult to remember his viewpoint in the events, but that did not spoil the enjoyment.

I felt that, by giving us the back story on Jardir, the author has created a lot of sympathy and understanding for him, and thereby complicated our feelings at the inevitable upcoming fight between the two. Now we understand the background to the two very different men each acclaimed by their people as the Deliverer or Shar Dama Ka. Can they join together to kill all the demons? Is the enemy of my enemy my friend? Or will they kill each other first and let the demons triumph?

Another new twist here allowed us to enter the mind of a pair of lead demons, showing some of their motivations and strengths.

I'm just reading in some of the other reviews that this series will now be five books! Yik! Hopefully the author will write faster than GRR Martin or Robert Jordan, as the book has a pretty abrupt ending, leaving me very much looking for more. Let's hope we don’t get two books full of nothing with the climax in book 5. However, that's to carp. This was an excellent read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Desert Spear.