Mirrani's Reviews > One Year in Wonderland: A True Tale of Expat Life in Dubai

One Year in Wonderland by Christopher Combe

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: finished-and-reviewed
Read in December, 2011

If you're looking for a book that is only about the expat lifestyle, or only about Dubai, or only an amusing read, you shouldn't go here. If you are looking for all of those things combined, then this is the place to be. The blend of true life "adventures" and "new world" discoveries is perfectly told in amusing fashion by a man who's actually been there and done that. You won't learn everything there is to learn about Dubai, and you won't learn everything there is to learn about taking your family to a world alien to you and trying to live and work there, you won't learn everything about finding balance in life itself, but you will laugh and share bewilderment at the events that happen.

In its whole, it is actually a very informative book. As someone who has just had a spouse move to a foreign country in order to enjoy the perks (and mishaps) of working tax-free in a location that needed her, I found that I was quickly and easily put into the mindset of exactly what she would have to be going through. I felt it provided me a sort of buffer to what she would be experiencing before she experienced it, not preparing me for the entire journey, but nudging me in the right direction.

When moving (or even visiting) a new place, you don't often think about the actual culture of the people. I don't mean, the religion or customs, I mean what they actually do, how they behave and seem to an outsider. Watching someone else observe a culture as that outsider, really put things into perspective, making even the most insignificant change strike me not as large, but simply as real.

An enjoyable read that I'd highly recommend to anyone who is going through this kind of move, has been through it, or knows someone who is.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Year in Wonderland.