lynne naranek's Reviews > Sleep No More

Sleep No More by Greg Iles

Jul 18, 07

bookshelves: 2007
Read in July, 2007

This book would make a good thriller/supernatural movie.

The book itself was rather disappointing, especially when the dust cover boasts Stephen King saying "This novel should come with a red wrapper marked DANGER: HIGH EXPLOSIVES."

One amusing repetition/recurrence in Sleep No More and Turning Angel is the hiring of ex-district attorney Penn Cage with one dollar here, and twenty dollars in the other tale, in order to secure attorney-client priviledge even if Mr Cage didn't really end up as the accused lawyer.

I found the premise of this tale extremely contrived. I'd buy it in a movie, but not in a book, or not as it plays out in *this* book, anyway! Characters are only a rickety rung above two-dimensional, and I never was able to empathize with John Waters despite his roller coaster emotional ride when someone who seems to be channeling his dead psycho ex girlfriend ensnares him in 2 weeks of hot sex and then dies in suspicious circumstances.

Go ahead and read it, just be prepared to not be impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleep No More.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karien That is exactly how I felt - I finished the book and found I didn't believe a word of it - neither the story nor the characters convinced at all.