Nina's Reviews > Play with Your Dog

Play with Your Dog by Pat Miller

May 21, 2012

bookshelves: dog-books, own-physical
Read from April 22 to May 21, 2012

I picked up this book because I have a dog that has no clue how to play. Though I've read several books about dog behavior, I've never read one specifically about play, so I thought it would be worth it to pick it up.

This book is a really great little read, especially if you are looking for ideas of how to play with your dog, or are having trouble getting your dog to engage. Pat Miller separates dogs into play 'categories' and talks about different games that different types of dogs may like. I found this section to be particularly helpful and interesting. I was able to categories my two non-play challenged dogs into their categories, and it helped me to understand better why they sometimes are not a good play match up.

The bulk of the book then goes into detail about several different games and variations, describing the rules and how to train your dog to play the games properly. Pat also does a great job of talking about which play behaviors to reinforce and which not to reinforce, EVER, which I thought was a nice addition. She even included a short chapter on which behaviors to NEVER reinforce.

The chapter I was most looking forward to - the chapter on rehabilitating play deprived dogs - was probably one of the shortest. I was a little disappointed, but overall, I really enjoyed the rest of the book and I got a ton of great ideas from it, which I am excited to try out once the weather finally shapes up a bit!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play with Your Dog.