Mirrani's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: finished-and-reviewed
Read in February, 2009

I borrowed this book from my sister, who said I would enjoy it because of the concept of being raised by the ghosts of the graveyard. While I enjoyed that aspect and how the book was written, I was somewhat surprised that it won the Newberry, not because it is bad literature - it isn’t - but because it is unlike many of the styles of Newberry books I have read in the past. Though it deals constantly with murder, death and haunting-type activities, I thought the way those were described were actually quite believable and not at all in a creepy sort of way. The interaction among the ghosts and the variety in which they existed, not conforming to the time they were in, but sticking to the time they came from, was a welcome change to other stories that have more modern ghosts adapting to new surroundings no matter when they are actually from. It is a quick trip through the life of Bod, with several troubles along the way, but not a book that made me sit and think about what was going to happen next or what had just happened, just the average days in the life of a boy adopted by ghosts, taught by a vampire and a werewolf, and raised in the graveyard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.