Annie's Reviews > I've Got Your Number

1851966
Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in April, 2012

Usually, I don't like books that depend on text messaging for dialogue. It comes off as gimmicky.

My expectations for "I've Got Your Number" were low. I thought I'd give it a try, then put it down after 30 pages.

That didn't happen. Kinsella's book is a great story about modern communication.

There have been articles questioning how mobile technology has changed the romance storyline. With one text, Juliet could have warned Romeo about her plan, instead of having to rely on an illiterate messenger.

What Kinsella proposes is that no matter how technology changes, people will always be bad at communicating.

When Poppy gains full access to Sam's cell phone and they begin to text back and forth, it's amazing how much they do and do not learn about each other. From a prevalent use of smiley faces, Sam surmizes that Poppy desperately needs people to like her, but he can't guess why.

Poppy makes some assumptions about him through his work email, and begins to meddle to open him up to other people, sometimes with good and bad results. She realizes that a person's email messages for work, even for an important businessman, are only a part of who that person is.

In the end, they create a bond, but it's not romance and it's not friendship. There are no grand love proposals based on an exchange of texts and phone calls. But it turns into the beginning of something, and that's what made this book more compelling than melodramatic.

It's not a passionate love story, but there is something especially sweet about: "When my phone bleeps, I hope it's him."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Got Your Number.