Mirrani's Reviews > A Smudge of Gray: A Novel

A Smudge of Gray by Jonathan Sturak

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: finished-and-reviewed
Read from April 22 to 24, 2012

A Smudge of Gray was as it sounds, a blending of two colors to make one whole... though I don't mean this in the typical way one would expect. I found my emotions toward the book blended from confusion over some of the character or plot points to absolute rapture with some of the descriptions.

The words flow easily in most areas, in some instances there are paragraphs of absolute beauty, where the flow and construction of each sentence really helps you to visualize what is happening and feel the emotion of the situation within yourself. There were a few clumsy times where this didn't happen, but overall, it was a very well described work.

What threw me were elements of the lives of the family members. For an example, I found myself often flustered that a 9 year old child would be clueless as to the actual types of people who are brought in to a police station, have no real concept of a criminal investigation or be unable to comprehend the title "murder suspect." His basketball team also seemed a little mature for the age of 9 as well, but I am not as much an expert on youth sports and I could be misjudging that. I also felt as if the the set up and portrayal of the two families involved in this novel were not quite settled in their presentation. I would have liked to have seen more of why each wife thought the way she did, beyond one wife being a devoted, stay at home mom and the other being a disgruntled, lonely woman who loses her husband to work all the time. There were hints of family order there that I felt got missed, was one wife being forced into her stay at home role... was an action happening because /she/ wanted the husband to be in charge or because /he/ wanted to be? There can be a big difference in there, especially when dealing with a murder mystery like this one.

At first you start this book and wonder where the mystery is because you meet both families, you see the cop and you see the murderer. There is no question as to who is guilty, but if you are picking it up thinking you will solve the case in the first few pages, this book is about to throw you for a loop. I was impressed with the continuity in the end, enough to look over the stumbles throughout and give this book a place of value within my library.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Smudge of Gray.

04/22/2012 "20% on kindle"