Mirrani's Reviews > A Heart in Sun and Shadow

A Heart in Sun and Shadow by Annie Bellet

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: finished-and-reviewed
Read in April, 2012

Depending on your personal tastes, A "Heart in Sun and Shadow is a book that you will be unable to put down or a book that you will quickly put down towards the end because you aren't the type to read about sudden, massive changes in the personalities of the main characters within a story.

For myself, I found the darker tones of the book somewhat refreshing, as most modern fairy stories are not willing to go the distance to completely test their characters with no-win situations , moments of pure desperation, or moments of utter sadness. Yes, sometimes the twists of the tasks that these people are put through are far too dark or are unbelievable for a situation of reality, but the truth of the mater is that this is one of those ancient fairy tale types of books, where one expected a little darkness and sudden change in character to bring feeling into the story.

Overall this book took me on an emotional roller coaster, bringing joys with the pains that only one of the fairies can do. Remember Puck casting his spells that always came with a cost, a twist, a price that you weren't expecting? This is right up his alley, if on the darker side of the spectrum. I found myself wondering what /I/ would do for the one I love, not in the literal sense of the actions in this book, but in the emotional sense.

This was a book that I couldn't put down. I was willing to accept the sudden changes in character because I was caught up in the emotion and traditional feeling of the storytelling. Reaching the end of this book I found myself wondering what will happen in the next one and looking forward to picking up another good read from the author.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Heart in Sun and Shadow.