Rory's Reviews > The Moonstone

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Aug 31, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: gave-up-on, pre-1960
Recommended for: any history-mystery fan smart enough to skip the giveaway intro
Read in October, 2008

I'd kept reading about this book--how it was the original murder mystery, how it inspired so many others, how it was so exciting. I mean, T. S. Eliot famously said it was "the first, the longest, and the best of modern English detective novels". I adore really old who-dunnits. Heck, I love books written in 1868. So I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. And I thought I'd give it its due by reading all the intro material. Yay, context.

And then...a couple paragraphs into the introduction, the editors REVEAL WHO DID IT. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I had no idea who did it--and I don't think this novel is so well-known that most people did. Surely they should have had concerns about ruining it. Growl. I couldn't read such a thick, twisty-turny, Victorian book already knowing the end. Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moonstone.

Donna Thanks for the warning.

One of the "rules" of the great books program I'm in is that you only read what the author wrote before reading any forwards, prefaces, intorductions, commentaries, etc. My husband strictly adheres to this rule. Now I know why.

Donald Keep reading Rory as it is a great book and Collins is a great writer, his characters are fleshed out and fully realized as well as being highly memorable. I don't think Moonstone is his best but it is a good place to start... you should give The Woman in White a shot as well, that is my favorite.

Mark Knowing "who-done-it" won't necessarily explain how or why in THIS story...a very twisty plot and intricate links to persons and events. It can get slow at times, being from an era when traveling across town could take hours, but it is well worth it!