Lisa Vegan's Reviews > My Monster Burrufu

My Monster Burrufu by Alberto Corral

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, novel, gr-a, from-a-p, orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned-kids, books-about-books, reviewed, speculative-fiction
Read on April 29, 2012 — I own a copy

This is an illustrated beginning chapter book with 10 chapters in 88 pages.

I loved the illustrations. Great pictures!! So charming! They added immensely to the story, and will be especially appreciated by children who are just beginning to read chapter books.

I very much enjoyed the story; it’s delightful. There is humor and pathos and suspense, and it’s just a fun story.

I had some laugh out loud moments, particularly when Burrufu the monster was the scared one and when he was trying to be frightening.

I like that Steve and Burrufu are writers. I also like the message that comes through that we can get to know authors as people through what they’ve written.

I like how the font size in this book occasionally changes to fit what’s going on in the story.

Some things that felt a bit off (or some maybe just old-fashioned) were: Olivia at age 7 was left home alone, all day, with just the dog, by her father. Olivia lives with just her father and her dog friend Tula. Steve, Olivia’s dad, is almost as much a main character as Olivia, unusual for children’s books, but something I found refreshing. Olivia has never known her mother so I got to put this book on my beloved orphaned-and-quasi-orphaned shelf. Well, and while Steve is loving, Olivia doesn’t get a lot of supervision, so that alone might have qualified this story for that shelf.

Re Olivia at only age 7 being left alone so much, some adults are not going to like this, think conniption fits, but I think children will find this to be a delightful fantasy on many levels, and as long as they’re children from loving and not neglectful homes, they will take Olivia’s experiences in stride.

Recommended for read aloud for 5 and up and independent readers 7-10, although there are some very advanced vocabulary words, so I am curious to see how 7-10 year olds will experience this story, as well as readers/listeners younger and older. Both girls and boys can equally enjoy this story.

Also recommended for for kids who like monsters or are afraid of monsters, kids from one parent families, kids who like dogs, imaginary friends, books and reading and writing, children who are about to move or have just relocated, and kids who feel different and/or kids who’ve been bullied or have bullied others.

It’s a sweet friendship story. It’s also a great story about humans’ tendencies to be afraid of what they don’t know, and how just being scared of something can make that fear grow and grow, even if there is nothing to fear.

What I thought I didn’t like: one character who was sort of was redeemed, and while I could have done without the shooting of bullets and other aggressive actions of the humans, it all ended up okay for me. I’m not sure I needed all the action, but some kids will really enjoy it.

I also like that Burrufu is a “cookie monster” and his favorite cookies are chocolate chip.

I know the author is trying to get this book noticed by readers and I do remain perplexed by why some books catch on quickly and others need lots of word of mouth in order to thrive. I see that 30 copies are being given away in the Goodreads’ First Reads program, and I hope they go to members who will review them on this site.

The book has its own website: http://mymonsterburrufu.com/

I appreciate the author giving me a copy (and I’m glad I own a copy I can share with children I know) and I’m glad I got the opportunity to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Monster Burrufu.

04/29/2012 page 1
1.0% "Have so many books here HAVE to read ASAP but I've decided to start this next. It looks like a fast read, as it's a children's novel and it's illustrated and it's short. It looks good."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Hmm... I will enter the giveaway, I think, but I doubt I will win. I never do... and it can't be because I don't write reviews! ;)"

At least there are 30 copies. I haven't looked to see how many people have entered. Well, good luck. It's fun to win. I've won quite a few but none in the recent past.

message 2: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn This sounds great, Lisa! I am going to enter the Giveaway. Thank you for mentioning that in your review :-)

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, I was hoping people would see. ;-)

Good luck! I hope you win a copy.

message 4: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Kathryn, I was hoping people would see. ;-)

Good luck! I hope you win a copy."

Thanks :-) I'll let you know if I do.

Lisa Vegan There is a 4 day free Kindle edition giveaway of this book going on right now. Just FYI.

message 6: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "There is a 4 day free Kindle edition giveaway of this book going on right now. Just FYI."

Thanks! I don't have Kindle, but I hope it makes four people very happy :-)

Lisa Vegan I don't have a Kindle or any ebook reader either. Well, except for my phone, which has too small a screen to read any book. I did read a 50 page booklet once, and that actually worked okay, much to my surprise, but I still would rather have had a paper book edition.

message 8: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "I don't have a Kindle or any ebook reader either. Well, except for my phone, which has too small a screen to read any book. I did read a 50 page booklet once, and that actually worked okay, much to..."

Wow, I'm impressed you made fifty pages. It annoys me even to read little articles on my husband's iPhone. I'm such a Luddite sometimes, LOL ;->

Lisa Vegan Me too, usually. There was something about the font, size and background that worked. But it was not my preference. But it was in e-book form only and it was actually easier to read that way than sitting at my desk at my smallish computer screen.