BoekenTrol's Reviews > De Doge-Ring van Venetië

De Doge-Ring van Venetië by Thea Beckman

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: bookcrossing, dutch_language, historical_fiction_or_non_fiction, 2012, medieval
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: creativechaos
Read from April 22 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: once
BCID: 10424810

Besides the descriptions of Venice, of the journey and the historical background, the story of Thomas was the most interesting to me.

To read how he experiences the journey to Venice and back by donkey (and what donkey!!), but even more so his doubts.
He wishes he wouldn't doubt so much: am I pious enough, I can live in a monastery for the rest of my life, why don't I learn a trade and stay in Venice?
Eventually he finds his way, but I think it's very striking how Beckman describes the life and the ways of a(young) teenager. I think that Thomas' state of mind is exemplary for all time.

The book is written very colorfull, very expressive, sometimes I felt that I could almost see what the two travelers were seeing, what they experienced. Very impressive.

I Liked the book very much and that I finished it very quickly, doesn't say anything about the quality, but more about the extent to which the book has gotten to me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read De Doge-Ring van Venetië.

04/23/2012 page 37
18.0% "Like, like, like :-)"
show 2 hidden updates…