Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > The Shoemaker's Wife

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012, europe, fiction, historical-fiction
Read in April, 2012

First off, Adriana Trigiani is one of those authors that I have heard tons about. I've heard tons and tons of really good things about her but I haven't picked up any of her very successful books. After reading The Shoemaker's Wife, I don't know why I waited so long! What I do know is that I definitely want to read more by her in the future.

Ciro and Enza are the best kind of love story. There is, of course, true love. There is a time element. There is drama and there is a good ending to the whole thing. I spent a rainy afternoon with Ciro and Enza as I couldn't put down the book. You keep waiting for everything to fall together because you get the feeling that Ciro and Enza are absolutely meant to be together. The anticipation is absolutely palpable. I love when you get so into a love story within a book and you're pulling hard for the characters as if you actually knew them in real life.

The story takes place in both Italy and England. Although my ancestry is not Italian, I had a couple ancestors come through Ellis Island during the same time that Ciro and Enza come to America. I've always been fascinated with immigrant stories, especially of the immigrants that came to the United States during the early 1900s. I loved seeing the things that both Ciro and Enza went through on their respective journeys to their new home. I also love that you get to see them both settling into their new lives.

I think its also worth pointing out how cool it is that the story of Ciro and Enza is a fictionalized tale of Trigiani's grandparents. I love that she was able to pull something so personal from her family stories and turn it into something really wonderful.

Bottom line: This will not be the last time I read something by Adriana Trigiani.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shoemaker's Wife.