Jean Marie Angelo's Reviews > Stories I Only Tell My Friends

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: memoirs-autobiography
Read from April 22 to 23, 2012

There are three elements that made this book a must-read for me: a spiritual story of recovery; the juicy details about Hollywood in the late '70s and '80s; politics. Saw this book at a B&N, picked it up and read a paragraph. Decided to download it and read it in a day. Lowe really surprised me. He could have lived his life as a pretty face and an empty suit, but he drove for me. As his counselor tells him in 1990, "You can be one of those celebrities that go in and out of rehab, or you can stay sober. it is up to you." The writing is honest and moving, espeically the stories about his marriage and family. Lowe is also honest, compassionate, and forth-coming with his experiences with fame, wealth, his mother and brothers, and his hard-scrabble beginnings in Dayton, Ohio. What seems today to be a charmed life was anything but in Lowe's early days. He is obviously a political junkie, too. I can relate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories I Only Tell My Friends.