Rhonda's Reviews > Seduced in the Dark

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: omg-i-cant-fu-ing-wait, 2012-most-wanted, favorites
Read in July, 2012

http://samsawesomness.blogspot.com/20... *Spoiler Free*

"His touch was simple, but specific, meant to show me he could be like a lover, gentle, intimate, but also that he was a man unaccustomed to hearing the word no. Yes. I understood. He was a man, and I? I was nothing but a girl, not even a woman. I was meant to fall at his feet and worship at the altar of his masculinity, grateful that he’d deigned to acknowledge me. All this, from a simple touch." - C.J. Roberts (Captive in the Dark)

In 2011 I ran across a book called Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts. I'll admit, it was cover love that first got my attention but, it seemed from the moment I read the blurb I was compelled to read this book. Even though this was not a book I would have normally read, I began my journey into The Dark Duet. Mrs. Roberts challenged me in so many ways as a reader, she took me completely out of my comfort zone, she gave me an anti-hero that I should have hated and made me love him! No matter how dark Captive in the Dark was, I continued to turn the pages. By the time I finished, I was a hot mess of emotions, and that little masochist in me wanted more of this story desperately! I fully credit Mrs. Roberts for seducing me to the dark side.

"Once upon a time, Caleb held me captive in the dark, now he used it to seduce me."

I had exactly three books on my "Most Wanted" list for 2012, and Seduced in the Dark was one of them. I was fortunate enough to be a beta reader for this book, and thus begins my journey into The Dark Duet #2.

This will not be a plot review, as I don't want to spoil anything for the reader. Mrs. Roberts has an incredible literary talent that goes beyond just the words on the page. She has the ability to reach inside you and provoke a wide array of feelings and emotions. They may not always be pleasant, but for an author to be able to do what she does is incredible. This story washed trough me in waves of love, anger, pleasure, sorrow, heartbreak, and at times even humor. I can't even begin to tell you how devastatingly beautiful this book is written. I can see the growth Roberts has made as a writer, and she has a wonderful voice, keep your eye on this author she is a talent on the rise, I truly believe that!

"During the course of our time together I’d fallen in love with my captor. I’d fallen in love with his smell and his taste; his smile, kindness, and yes, even his cruelty because I knew it was a part of him."

Livvy is such a strong character even in her circumstances. She's willful, stubborn and challenges Caleb on so any levels. Olivia and Caleb were scorchingly hot in this book! The dubious consent isn't as prevalent in this story. Olivia is even funny at times even when the current situation is messed up, she'll have something funny fly out of her mouth. Livvy also wears her heart on her sleeve, and there are times it's almost costly for herself and Caleb.

Caleb.... Oh how much I adore him! I started loving him in the first book, but after this book I fell completely in love! There were a couple of times I wanted to throttle him. But some of his actions would later come back to haunt him. He's so complex, and damaged. The man that started this journey for retribution, ended up on a path of self-discovery and intense heartbreak. His story absolutely tore me up, it ripped my heart to shreds!!

Rafiq... There has always been something unsettling to me about him. Caleb's savior, his mentor, and his teacher of sorts. It has bothered me to no end that Caleb feels he owes Rafiq unconditionally, and is constantly browbeaten with it.

We also meet a couple of interesting new characters, Dr. Sloan and Agent Reed. It's actually the banter between these two characters and Olivia that provide some of the laughs in this story. The dynamics between Sloan and Reed could make for it's own story in the future...maybe?

To the returning readers of this series, I can say this... You absolutely won't be disappointed. This story is one helluva ride you won't want to miss. As I approached the last quarter of the story, I felt like I stepped into a Quentin Tarantino film, it was fabulous! There were so many twists and turns to the plot, things that took me by surprise! The writing is crisp, the plot is tight, and I wasn't able to find any holes. This book is not mainstream erotica, there's a brilliant story being told, and it ended up being one of my favorite books ever!

5 ++ Breathtakingly Brilliant Stars!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seduced in the Dark.

Quotes Rhonda Liked

C.J. Roberts
“ So, that's it? You think I'm just some idiot that fell for your bullshit! Well you're wrong! I fell in love with you, Caleb. I fell in love with your sick sense of humor. I fell in love with the way you protected me. You saved my life!" - Livvie/Kitten”
C.J. Roberts, Seduced in the Dark

07/20/2012 page 54
10.69% "Caleb’s youthful body responded instantly to the kiss and he pressed forward, chasing Rafiq’s mouth, his taste. Rafiq pulled away.
Caleb panicked. If Rafiq rejected him, he would die. He would die of shame because he was a whore and knew no other way." 4 comments
07/20/2012 page 81
16.04% "I know the shit he did to me was awful, I fucking lived it. But I’m telling you, monsters aren’t born, they’re made, and someone made Caleb. Someone beat him, someone did horrible things to him, and the only person who helped him, Rafiq, made him a killer."
07/20/2012 page 81
16.04% "Oh Lawd! I think I need an alcoholic beverage!! *hubby passes me a glass of wine*" 1 comment
07/20/2012 page 93
18.42% "In the dark, he was a prayer I held on to as I tried to not fall asleep." 3 comments
07/21/2012 page 110
21.78% "The look in his eyes turned devastating. It was as if he wanted to tear me apart with his teeth, and I probably would have let him. - C.J. Roberts"
07/21/2012 page 139
27.52% "I had never felt anything like this. Never had I wanted to laugh, and weep, and fuck, and devour another human being until there was nothing left of him – until we were one person and I could feel peace." 2 comments
07/21/2012 page 157
31.09% "They lay in silence for several minutes. Caleb could feel Livvie’s tears as they slid down her face; they wet his own. It was as close to crying as Caleb could get and for a moment he imagined they were his tears. They were his confession. They said all the things he couldn’t…because he was a coward." 6 comments

Searock SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!
AAAAAAAGGGHHH!
(must have teasers!!!!)
(oh please, oh please!)

Rhonda Searock wrote: "SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!
AAAAAAAGGGHHH!
(must have teasers!!!!)
(oh please, oh please!)"

You must be a little masochist too!! LOL!!

Melissa Awwwww shit!

Searock Tease me, Mistress!!
Be cruel if you must :)

Rhonda Searock wrote: "Tease me, Mistress!!
Be cruel if you must :)"

You asked for it! Lol!

Katie Again!!! With the awesome sequel ARC. You are such a lucky duck Rhonda! Don't be mad now when you don't have anyone to talk about it with because us mere mortals have to wait until September.

Rhonda Awww Katie, I wish I could say I'm sorry but September is coming soon. I'm okay with reading this alone, when I read Captive, no one I chat with had even marked it to read yet so I went on that journey alone. <3

Jenny - totallybookedblog Rhonda!!! I was one of the other Beta readers! I can't even pick up another book to read 4 days after finishing this!

Rhonda HEY JENNY!!!!!! Nice to meet you! I'm expecting the same result, so I'm prepared to be in a book funk yet again!!

Melissa omg, ur killing me w ur updates!!! im ignoring you for a day! jealous!!

Rhonda Melissa wrote: "omg, ur killing me w ur updates!!! im ignoring you for a day! jealous!!"

LOL! *points finger at Searock* She asked for it!

Searock Yes, Mistress. May I have another please?

Rhonda Searock wrote: "Yes, Mistress. May I have another please?"

LMAOOO!!! Let's see what I can find.......

Katie Yes!!! Keep teasing!

Rhonda Katie wrote: "Yes!!! Keep teasing!"

;)

Katie Don't you hate it when you read a great book and you're all excited but then every book you read after it, no matter how good just doesn't measure up? Good luck with this one... I have very high hopes.

Allyssa I'm jealous ugh I want to read this so so so bad

Rhonda Allyssa wrote: "I'm jealous ugh I want to read this so so so bad"

Katie wrote: "Don't you hate it when you read a great book and you're all excited but then every book you read after it, no matter how good just doesn't measure up? Good luck with this one... I have very high ho..."

This is one of those books for me!!

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom I HATE spoilers. I was going to scan reviews hoping for a reson to stay away from the book...I guess ill get the book and just stay away from the reviews instead.

message 20: by Rhonda (last edited Jul 23, 2012 03:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Tom, it still has the dark element, but not the same as the first book. Tom, you read the first book, you don't need a reason to stay away.

Jenny - totallybookedblog Don't stay away! This book is amazing! Rhonda I am in a MAJOR book funk after this! I've tried to get into two books and just can't. I keep coming back to thinking about this one.

Rhonda Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "Don't stay away! This book is amazing! Rhonda I am in a MAJOR book funk after this! I've tried to get into two books and just can't. I keep coming back to thinking about this one."

I know!! I'm totally screwed!!

Jenny - totallybookedblog You and me both!!!!

Rhonda Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "You and me both!!!!"

I need to find one to throw under the bus!! Get it?? Bus?? LOL!! :D

Courtney Oh my sweet baby Jesus!!! This wait is excruciating!

Rhonda Courtney wrote: "Oh my sweet baby Jesus!!! This wait is excruciating!"

Not long now!!!! :)

Courtney Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Oh my sweet baby Jesus!!! This wait is excruciating!"

Not long now!!!! :)"

Easy for you to say...Miss "I got to read it first"! ;-)

message 28: by Rhonda (last edited Aug 14, 2012 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Courtney wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Oh my sweet baby Jesus!!! This wait is excruciating!"

Not long now!!!! :)"

Easy for you to say...Miss "I got to read it first"! ;-)"

Hey Now!! ;p I waited longer!!
Did you order your copy from C.J.?

Courtney Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Oh my sweet baby Jesus!!! This wait is excruciating!"

Not long now!!!! :)"

Easy for you to say...Miss "I got to read it first"! ;-)"

No...I was just going to download it as soon as possible. Will I get it sooner if I do?

Hey Now!!..."

Rhonda Courtney wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Oh my sweet baby Jesus!!! This wait is excruciating!"

Not long now!!!! :)"

Easy for you to say...Miss "I got to read it first"! ..."

No, it was for the paperbacks.
I can't wait to sit back and enjoy everyone's updates. Did you check out the radio interview on the blog post? She's so cute. :)

Courtney Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Oh my sweet baby Jesus!!! This wait is excruciating!"

Not long now!!!! :)"

Easy for you to say...Miss "I got to ..."

Yes, she would be awesome to hang out with. Never a dull moment!

Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!* Just read your review Rhonda! O.M.G. I am sooooooo hype! I she releasing this on both Nook and Amazon Kindle?!?

Rhonda Alexis wrote: "Just read your review Rhonda! O.M.G. I am sooooooo hype! I she releasing this on both Nook and Amazon Kindle?!?"

Kindle and Smashwords for sure. Smashwords has all formats, even for nook. (epub) I can't wait for all the returning readers to get this!!

Louise Oh sweet..did I said that word sweet..thank you Rhonda, you just build up the anticipation Damn!:)

Rhonda Louise wrote: "Oh sweet..did I said that word sweet..thank you Rhonda, you just build up the anticipation Damn!:)"

It's worth the anticipation!!

Jenny - totallybookedblog Brilliant review Rhonda!! ;)

Rhonda Jenny - totallybookedblog wrote: "Brilliant review Rhonda!! ;)"

Thank you Jenny!! Xoxo

message 38: by Crazy4more (new) - added it

Crazy4more Great review! thanks.

Rhonda Crazy4more wrote: "Great review! thanks."

Thank you!

Stevi OMG I can NOT wait for my copy to get here!!!! Should get it this week!!!! SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

Rhonda Me too!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

Fathima HOLY CARNAVOLI !!!! Woot , that did not make any sense at all !!! Meh , what the heck ... Girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl , the wait is freakin killin me here , look :

Crista I just finished this book and I your review spoke the words of my heart. This was an amazing story. Thank you:-)

Rhonda Crista wrote: "I just finished this book and I your review spoke the words of my heart. This was an amazing story. Thank you:-)"

Thank You so much Crista!! :)
I'm so glad you felt that way, this is definitely one of my top picks this year!!

message 45: by My (new) - rated it 5 stars

My Lay This book puts you one such a roller coaster and right now im 50% through the book and I feel soooooooooo angry. I need to vent.

Rhonda Hang in there, we all felt that way. ;)

message 47: by My (new) - rated it 5 stars

My Lay OMG Rhonda, I love this book.

This goes to the top of my list of all time favourite. I cried lol when you put it altogether, it's such a beautiful love story and the style of writing was perfect.

message 48: by My (new) - rated it 5 stars

My Lay so sad to see it end =(

Rhonda I know, I love CJ, she's a wonderful talent!

Clarifina ~Books Are My Drugs~ OMG, just reading this review made me squeal in anticipation.

« previous 1