Kiki's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Oh, for fuck's sake, just make it stop. God, this book bored me to tears. I fucking quit. No love lost.

Dan Wells, you write pretty well. In fact, your writing is enjoyable. But I just had to throw in the towel by about page 80. I just couldn't take it any longer. I opened the ebook file one last time, just to take one more stab at it, and I swear there were tears in my eyes.

I shut it down. Laughing is okay. Eye-rolling I can deal with too. But crying is not appropriate. When a book makes me cry with sheer frustration, then that's it. I'm done.

Could somebody tell me what they liked about this book? What exactly was good about it? I was too busy rocking back and forth behind the water softener to read on and find out if it ever redeemed itself.

No. Just no. I can't do it. Don't make me.

I can't even bring myself to rate this book. If I want to reach the bit with the stars, I have to scroll up, and if I scroll up, I'll have to look at the cover of this book. And just glancing at it brings real tears to my eyes. I'm so dead serious.

Guys, I'm honestly not joking here.
39 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

04/23/2012 page 12
4.0% "Marcus, Haru isn't the only one who doesn't get your jokes."
04/23/2012 page 13
4.0% "If Jayden and Madison are the only living relatives in the world, and hailed as proof that immunity is inherited, what are they doing wandering around in suburbia? Why aren't they being probed like lab rats by the authorities? It seems these supposedly dedicated scientists are ignoring a lead dangling right under their noses. Fail #1, my dear Kira."
04/23/2012 page 17
4.0% "Here's an infodump, but at least it's creatively camouflaged. I like that." 3 comments
05/06/2012 page 20
4.0% ""Kira didn't speed up, watching Jayden's face as she walked casually to the wagon. He looked so much like Madison." That's such an awkward sentence, I don't even know where to begin. There is absolutely no rhythm, and what's with the sudden reminder that he's Madison's brother? We know! You told us in the last chapter!" 1 comment
05/06/2012 page 25
7.0% "I'm enjoying the dialogue, but the huge infodumps that keep nudging their way in there are really distracting. Ah, well. At least I have a character to root for, now. Jayden's fun."
11/06/2015 marked as: put-it-in-the-freezer

Suzanne Hmm, I gave it a three, so I must not have been crying, but I am having a hard time remembering all the details I should. Maybe just that I hadn't read a dystopia that blamed a good chunk of its apocalypse on robot types.? Funny review, though. You dislike books in very entertaining fashion!

Milly Completely agree! Wells should stay away from YA fiction!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Vanderburg yeah i bought this book and I've been on page 90 for about 4 mths. I just can't do it! makes me want to pull my eyeballs out through my nose.

Mickey Phillips This book is definitely pretty slow going for the first 100 pages or so. If you can get past that though, it is pretty good. I found it entertaining, the plot was well laid out and the characters were likeable. I might be too easy to please though because I just finished book 8 in the House Of Night series...eesh...

message 5: by Henry (new)

Henry G. I actually liked this book. It could be because up until I read it I had only read House of Night level books (because of the bad rep they get) and hadn't read anything good in a long time.
Let's see, what did I like? Kira, for one. After going through so many Bella Swans and Zoey Redbirds and Evers and so, it was a nice change of pace to read about a girl who was strong and stable; she disliked the government but followed most rules because she understood they helped people, and when the boyfriend's like "i forbid you from going on a mission" she's like "screw you, pal, you don't own me".
I'm also a glutton for scifi, and dystopias happen to be some of my favorite stories, and the world building was really good.
That's not to say there weren't things I didn't like. Kira's sister was annoying as hell with her "rebel" attitude, and the pacing in the last third could've been better, a lot of things happened way too quickly in my opinion. But aside from that it was a good book and I'll probably read the next one.

message 6: by zaju (last edited Jul 11, 2013 07:18PM) (new)

zaju Ha Ha Ha

message 7: by Valentine (new) - added it

Valentine Jesus Christ Kira. How can you be so funny and still be human?

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Ellen I gave up around there too at first, but after a while I started reading it again and I'm glad that i did.

message 9: by Kiki (new) - added it

Kiki Jaime wrote: "I gave up around there too at first, but after a while I started reading it again and I'm glad that i did."

It's still on my ereader, so I may yet give it a chance. It's been a while since I looked at it so I might be ready to come back to it after all.

Annwynbeneaththewaves HA I had the same reaction it was so freaking boring till halfway, then it picks up speed and then it gets good. You just have to soldier thourugh but if it makes you cry again then you should probably stay away from it

Donna Haven't heard any real specific reasons you guys did not like this book.

message 12: by Kiki (new) - added it

Kiki Donna wrote: "Haven't heard any real specific reasons you guys did not like this book."

Are you kidding me.

Donna Boring? I guess you weren't paying attention

message 14: by Ten (new) - added it

Ten Donna wrote: "Boring? I guess you weren't paying attention"

Why wasn't she paying attention? Why does disliking something equals being a poor reader that "doesn't pay attention". Or maybe you found it entertaining because you skimmed through it?
You really should learn how to discuss a book without being so damn unpleasant.

Donna Actually it was she who asked me "are you kidding?" Instead of discussing. I was asking a serious question and didn't appreciate being sniped at. I admit I should not have responded in kind but should have ignored it. I still would like a serious answer as I do realize that everyone does not like the same books.

Donna Oh and also I never skim a book. If I don't like a book I will just quit reading it if I feel I have given it enough time.

message 17: by Ten (last edited May 13, 2014 05:24PM) (new) - added it

Ten I would never assume that the reason you liked/loved/hated a book was because you skimmed or were not paying attention.
That would be pretty stupid and awfully rude, don't you think? And the purpose behind my saying you skimmed was to illustrate how annoying your assumption was.
If you give a book 5 stars, the first thing I would think is that you loved it. Period. Even if it's a book I hate, there's no way I'd visit your review to tell you "you were not paying attention".
And if you don't appreciate being "sniped" at, then learn basic manners.

Donna wow, so no one thinks that when I asked for reasons Kira did not like the book and she said "Are you kidding?" that is not rude? I was just asking. I did like the book and wondered why some did not. That is all. I have already apologized for my response of not paying attention back to her. Now I have someone accusing me of skimming a book and telling ME I am rude. So this is escalating and all I asked was the specific reasons someone did not like a book. Usually people do give reasons why they like or don't like a book. So please stop escalating this. If you check the thread you will see I did not start the rude statements and have apologized for mine.

message 19: by Ten (new) - added it

Ten "Now I have someone accusing me of skimming a book and telling ME I am rude"
You clearly missed the part where I said: "And the purpose behind my saying you skimmed was to illustrate how annoying your assumption was."

"...and she said "Are you kidding?" that is not rude?"
No, it's not rude. You told her she didn't give specific reasons (or at least her reasons were not specific enough for you) why she didn't like it.
She's not obligated to write you an essay specifying all the reasons why this book didn't work for her.

She admitted being frustrated and bored, how hard is that to understand?
Then you act like you don't understand why she didn't like it...well, "are you kidding?" is a very appropriate response.
I would have deleted your comment or RUDELY redirect you to the review.

Donna What I said was general: "Haven't heard any real specific reasons why you guys did not like this book." It was to no one in particular.
I am done with this. And you.

message 21: by Ten (new) - added it

Ten No lost love there.
Goodbye.

message 22: by Sofia (last edited May 15, 2014 07:08PM) (new) - added it

Sofia @Donna
description

message 23: by Kiki (last edited May 15, 2014 10:04PM) (new) - added it

Kiki Donna wrote: "If I don't like a book I will just quit reading it if I feel I have given it enough time."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Honestly, Donna, if I hadn't just gotten home at 1 a.m. from a nine hour shift at a minimum wage job that I hate I probably would have written a lengthy response about how you're tone policing and how your initial comment was completely meaningless because I gave some pretty specific reasons in my review (I literally wrote, "this book bored me to tears." What more do you want?) and how you obviously came here to pick a fight but I just can't be fucked. If you're genuinely mad about this, you need a hobby. Seriously.

Patrice Lavandero http://bookscentwriter.blogspot.com/2...

Welp. I made a "summary" for it. Since many things were happening, it's a bit long but nonetheless, you'll find my review after the full summary.

message 25: by Juan (new)

Juan Did you read "I am not a serial killer" by the same author? It's quite good!