Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Run from Fear

Run from Fear by Jami Alden

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: net-galley
Read from April 22 to 23, 2012

Two years after Talia Vega survived the harrowing kidnapping and torture from the hands of a psychotic, sadistic serial killer, she was managing a semblance of life that she put together for her and her sister, Rosario. She was content for the most part until a man from her past showed up bringing with him some memories and feelings she wished were buried right along with the man who almost killed her. She’d rather not owe Jack Brooks any more than she owed her life, but when a copycat serial killer started targeting young women with the same MO as her tormentor, she didn’t have a choice but to turn to him again.

I didn’t realize this book was a series when I requested it from Net Galley. The premise was interesting and I was looking forward to the romance angle. The hero and the reluctant damsel in distress caught my attention right away.

This was when I realize that perhaps bypassing books 1 and 2 was not such a good idea after all. I didn’t have any in with these two characters – didn’t know what they were like in the previous books. I liked the innate chemistry between the two, however, the attraction seem a bit imbalanced. Jack seemed more into Talia than she was.

Talia is a frustrating character to read; she was too prideful. I think there are strong female characters and then there are those who are just too stubborn to accept help. I get that Jack took his guardian role to the extreme but Talia seemed too caught up reading into his intentions.

I was able to follow the story for the most part; I never once felt lost while reading. Sure there were characters that I wished I knew beforehand but I credit the author for quickly glancing over the previous books just enough to be able to go along.

VERDICT: I don’t read much suspense geared toward the adult audience (sad, I know), so this one had some pretty disturbing scenarios, in my opinion. I think the author has a great ability for this genre and I’m willing to spend some money to check out her other works.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Run from Fear.