Cindy (eclecticfirefly)'s Reviews > Every Other Day

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Apr 22, 2012

bookshelves: pbs-chosen, demons, dragons, dystopian, horror, human-with-abilities, pnr, vampires, ya, zombies
Read from April 22 to 23, 2012

Every Other Day is unique in that our heroine Kali only has her preternatural abilities every other day. On off days she is a human girl just like any other. Her father is a professor at the local university. He studies all the known types of preternatural beings in our world. Kali can't figure out what she is - she has never heard of anyone or any "thing" with her abilities.

Every other day at dawn she gets the urge to hunt down and kill all those "other" beings before they have the chance to kill the humans. She heals very quickly and her blood acts as a poison to the other beasties.

Kali starts out as a pretty sympathetic character. She is lonely. Her father basically ignores her most of the time. Her mother left them when she was 3. She keeps away from friendships with other kids her age. One day at a pep rally Skylar comes up to Kali and starts talking to her. In spite of Kali's reservations they become friends quickly. Skylar claims to be "a little psychic". However, everyone knows there are no psychics!

When Kali attempts to remove a chuprakabra from Bethany, a cheerleader who is dating Skylar's brother, the fun begins.

I didn't like Bethany in the beginning, but she definitely grew on me. Some of the characters were not fleshed out very well, but the 3 girls were all very distinctive and well done.

All in all - I loved this book! There is plenty of room for Ms Barnes to revisit this world and I'm hoping she plans to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Other Day.