Melissa's Reviews > Born To Darkness

Born To Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: read-owned, melissa-2012-challenge, part-of-a-series
Read from April 22 to 26, 2012

This is the 1st book of Suzanne Brockmann's newest series; I really enjoy her Troubleshooter series and decided to give it a try. It was a good book... but somewhat different than what she has written in the past.

There is romance of a sort in that you have 3 "couples":
Shane/Mac
I liked Shane, I found him to have a quirky sense of humor and a real sense of who he was. Mac, I just found to be annoying. I had a hard time feeling sympathy for her when the story was meant to show her in a sympathetic light. She is supposed to come off as a strong person who is really fragile and to me she was just bitchy.

Elliot/Diaz
Elliot and Diaz are the gay couple in this book, Brockmann seems to have one in every book of hers that I've read which I actually enjoy. They have quite the steamy relationship and there time together definatly elevates the heart rate! They are a bit unbelievable in the speed that there relationship happens, but I feel that she does seem to rush the gay couples relationships more so than the male/female ones.

Bach/Anna
I really like this pairing, both were very interesting characters and I'm glad they are going to have more time to explore there relationship in future books.

Those are your main characters plus Nika, so that is seven main characters in this book! The plot line is that Bach, Diaz and Mac are "Greater-Thans" because they have been able to achieve special abilities through mind integration. They use 50% to 70% of there brain. They live/work at an organization that finds other potential people like them and helps them achieve this integration.

The Greater Thans help police the new drug trade, there is a new drug called Destiny that will make you live forever and give you "special powers", only problem is it is highly addictive and guaranteed to kill you.

Anna's sister is Nika, she has been kidnapped by the people who make Destiny. They find potential Greater Thans in order to use there blood to make more Destiny. The characters all work together to help find Nika as well as to try to find out why Shane, Elliot and Anna seem to be increasing there levels.

The story has some really good momemts and some moments that just don't seem to fit with the story but overall it is a good read. If you are a long term fan of Suzanne Brockman's be prepared for something different or you may be disappointed by expectations.

I also didn't care for the people being defined as "greater than" and "fraction" it rubbed me wrong but it was addressed in the book which I really liked.

Overall a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born To Darkness.

04/23/2012 page 185