Novac's Reviews > Thief of Time

Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Aug 31, 08

Read in February, 2008

This was my first exposure to the work of Terry Pratchett. As a long-time Douglas Adams fan, I had heard Pratchett's name many times, but never took the time to actually read one of his books. I grabbed this one because the plot sounded interesting, and when I read the jacket at home, I noticed it was part of the "Discworld" series. Curious about how to properly start the series, a lump formed in my throat as I discovered that there are thirty-two Discworld novels, and that's not counting four young adult novels, several graphic novels, multiple short stories, and a few science novels! In fact, there's even a flowchart displaying the proper reading order for eight different sub-plots within the Discworld series! Though this book is near the end of a reading order, I noticed that it was only "loosely" connected to the other books, so I went ahead and started reading. I could tell that I'd be reading more Pratchett (and more Discworld) books in the future shortly after I started. The Discworld is a mythology very similar to what you find in Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia, but much more irreverent. A very fun read — so much so that I decided to start at the beginning of this sub-plot reading order ("Death Novels") and read more Pratchett.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thief of Time.

02/29 marked as: read

message 1: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul DEATH is my favorite. I love it. I highly recommend reading Going Postal, it's great stuff.

message 2: by Jacque (new) - added it

Jacque Hodges (Carter) Thank you for the flow chart. I have them all in my ereader but not in any particular order, so a chart is very helpful

message 3: by Macklin (new) - added it

Macklin Death is awesome. I started Discworld with the Hogfather, the final Death novel if you don't include this one, and I loved it and read the rest of the Death novels.