Eliza Baum's Reviews > The Door to Canellin

The Door to Canellin by E.H. Jones

Sep 21, 14

bookshelves: ya-fantasy, library-smashwords
Read in July, 2011

THE DOOR TO CANELLIN is one of my favorite sorts of fantasy novels--where someone from the "real" world gets sucked into a fantasy world for his/her own set of adventures. In that regard, this novel doesn't disappoint. Both Wes and his dad, Ryan, have some exciting adventures and learn a lot along the way. The narrative and ending were fun and satisfying. There's just enough magic and sword-fighting for my taste, not so much that it gets old. Those things are important, but they don't overshadow the interpersonal elements.

My only real "complaint" (and I use the word rather loosely) was the changing in point of view between Wes and Ryan. I understood why it was needed, and I liked each individually, but in some ways it was like jumping between a young adult novel and a "grown-up" novel. It couldn't quite be either, which was jarring. The feeling eased up about halfway through, when it was obvious that they were each on their own journeys (and probably because I got used to it), but it was enough that I almost thought about putting it down. I'm glad now that I didn't.

Looking forward to seeing what the sequel will have to offer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Door to Canellin.