Amy's Reviews > Sela

Sela by Jackie Gamber

Apr 22, 12

I received this novel for review from the publisher.

Sela is book 2 in Jackie Gamber's Leland Dragon series of fantasy novels about dragons. These books are great for fantasy novel lovers aged 10 and up.

Riza and Kallon are back, although our main characters now focus on Sela and Drell. Some of the main characters from Redheart are also back, and I have mixed feelings about them. However, my review of Redheart included spoilers, and I am going to try to keep this review spoiler-free.

Sela is the human daughter of Riza and Kallon. Drell is the dragon son of Fordan Blackclaw, Kallon's enemy. There is peace in the Leland province, but peace is rarely long-lasting. Greedy, vicious humans are trying to take over the mountains, and there is more than one sneaky party with a hidden agenda.

The wonderfully wacky wizard Orman is back, as well as the meddling (with good intentions) wizard Layce. I must say, those two together make quite a pair. I loved the relationship between Orman and Layce. Their banter and both of their personalities provide a good amount of giggles and chuckles as I was reading. We also had a few new secondary characters that acted as friends and allies for Sela when she needed them most. I loved that she wasn't alone in her journey.

I was also extremely pleased that the novel followed the basic elements of story grammar, just as Redheart did. Gamber takes great care in her writing to build up tension and emotions. She builds her characters, rather than plopping them down in a weak plot. She describes the setting and uses it to support to the plot. She leaves her readers on the edge of their seats, gripping the pages, thirsting for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sela.