Cynthia Varady's Reviews > Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative

Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon

May 01, 12

bookshelves: favorite-books
Read from April 22 to May 01, 2012

What can one say about a book this inspirational? After finishing it this morning during my morning absolutions, I couldn't wait to begin my life proudly stealing like an artist. Something I had been doing my whole life, but denying it to the end. The ten simple, philosophical insights and truths Austin Kleon outlines in Steal Like An Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative, aren't just for for artists, they are for anyone with goals, aspirations, dreams, and hopes. Most of it is common sense, but everyone needs a little assistance from time to time remembering what they already know.

Kleon's advice, something he astutely points out is what we would say to our younger selves if given a chance, is applicable across the board for those who have a creative desire. This doesn't just mean art. It can easily be applied to other aspect of life such as business plans, gardening, carpentry, or research. The underlining theme is, stop making excuses, and make something. The rest is a collection of ways to help you get started. Kleon tells us to carry a paper and a pen everywhere. Note interesting things happening around us. Find someone who inspires us, and see who and what inspires them. Move around, stagnation is the death to creative activity. Be boring, people who are out all the time never get anything done. Routines are good. They ensure that we have time to do the things we want to do. Take walks. Start a log book. Hang out with creative people. Write fan letters. Be nice. Start today!

You get the picture.

So in honor of this fabulous book I think everyone should have in their library, I am writing my fan letter in the form of a glowing book review. Maybe Kleon will see it. Most likely not. But that doesn't matter. The important bit is that I wrote it. I created something. And if he does ever see it, maybe he'll put this review in his “praise file.” Now go be creative!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steal Like an Artist.

message 1: by Jimu (new) - added it

Jimu Good review Cynthia,
Creativity is so bloody supercharging, one can spin out on it, I'd like to write a book on how to stay focused . Because that's my biggest creative challenge.
So much to do.... So little time!
So just enjoy each creative moment.
Ciao
Jimu

Cynthia Varady Thanks for the kind words Jim. It was one of the funnest reviews I've written.

I hear you about the focused thing. I am currently on forced unemployment due to visa stuff, and looking forward to getting some writing in. That said, I am looking for all kinds of excuses to put off starting. Creativity can be a scary thing sometimes.