Sara's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Apr 22, 12

Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I was scared to read this book. I am one of those people whose consciousness stores and hold on to the things I expose myself to, and like a kid, sometimes I have crazy dreams...
BUT this book was written from the perspective of 5 yr old Jack, in a child's language. And so all the dirty-nasty bits of Ma being raped by old Nick were written of as creaks counted while Jack's hiding in the wardrobe.
I was moved by the love that mother had for her child, how she created a whole world for him while imprisoned in an outdoor shed through the power of imagination. How happy he was. (I look around at all the toys my children have and think wow, I wonder if I'm really doing them any favors buying this junk? Am I making their minds lazy? I am I lazy?)
I was impressed by the rapid response of the police. I asked a local law enforcer if they really had the technology to locate a shed, with a skylight, in less than five minutes.
Lesson learned from this book- don't walk around wearing an i-pod by yourself, especially in deserted areas. Get to know your neighbors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.