Brimate's Reviews > Oedipus Rex

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles

Aug 31, 08

bookshelves: school-books
Read in March, 1999

i read this some time in high school. it's pretty pointless, in my opinion. although maybe i didn't get much out of it in high school. maybe it's actually a critique of power and hierarchy. well, i don't care enough to find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oedipus Rex.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah One of my favorite t-shirt sayings: "Oedipus Rex: The Original Motherf*cker"

Being a theatre major, we had to study this play and other Greek tragedies and comedies. If you want some awesome Greek comedy, check out Lysistrata. Women stop having sex with their husbands in order to stop a relentless war.

You can read it, but I always recommend you see it onstage. Given our current situation in the Middle East, you might get lucky and find a theatre that is running it.

The Bacchae is also great. Not a comedy, but really dark.

Brimate that is a great t-shirt. it's funny cuz it's true.

i've heard about lysistrata and it sounds pretty cool. i guess i haven't read plays since it was required reading in high school. i did really like the crucible. but it just hasn't crossed my mind to read any since. i've seen plays, but not read anymore. thanks for the idea!

Brimate oh, have you read Iphigenia? There were excerpts from it in a book I read--The Gate to Women's Country---and it sounds interesting.